Motorcycle trailer lights
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recently rebuilt a 4x8 Utility trailer.

Whole thing got sanded down and repainted.

Put a new 2x6 deck on top that I stained.

Mounted a wheel chock up front.

I bought a new light kit from Harbor Freight and it is giving me fits.

I was an Avionics Tech for 12 years so I'm not a novice at troubleshooting electronics, but I give!!!

These lights have got me stumped. I installed everything from scratch, brand new.

I followed the instructions to the letter.

I ran the brown/yellow down the left side and the brown/green down the right side, I made sure nothing got pinched or nicked as I ran the wires. Made the connections at the lights correctly, browns to browns, greens to greens, yellows to yellows. Installed the side marker lights with new self tapping screws to the frame(one of the screw goes through the light bulb ground mount) and connected the single output wire to the browns on each side.

Up front at the harness connector I installed a new terminal lug on the white ground wire and connected it to the trailer frame with a new self tapping screw, it is well grounded.

My problem is this...

When I turn on the parking lights everything lights up fine. When I turn on either directional all of the lights flash....both rears and both side marker lights. Doesn't matter which directional I turn on same result.

With just the parking lights on and I step on the brake all the lights go out!!!

I have tried connecting it to three different trucks all with the same results. So the problem is in the trailer. I have taken all the bulbs out and inspected them and the wiring inside the light housing units as well. I can not figure out why it is doing this. I'm starting to feel like Clark Griswald over here!

Now here is the real kick in the pants!!! I bought a similar light kit from Wal-Mart and installed it on my boat trailer and it does the same damn thing.

Anyone???
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I think I have a weak ground. I'm going to try running a new ground between the truck and trailer. I'm also going to install a ground block and run ground wires from all the lights to it. I think that will fix the problems.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

You could try removing the paint between the screw and the metal. Had some grounding issues on an old mini bike and eventually scraped some paint of and voila!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Looks nice. Glad you had a chance to step away and consider the ground connection. That was my guess as I read along.

This may not be your problem but it is one that has driven me crazy in the past. The trailer has standard trailer lighting with combination brake and turn signal bulbs while the tow vehicle has separate brake and turn signal lamps. The only way to get everything working seems to be to purchase a trailer light converter. Most auto parts stores and Wal-Marts have them.

Grounding on trailer lights is a common problem. Some people go so far as to run ground wires to all the lights. It would be helpful if the trailer light kit manufacturers would include the ground wire, but I guess the extra 97 cents of cost would drive them out of business. Just me venting.

Good luck with your project.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

i'm banking on it being a grounding problem as well...i just helped my grandfather sell one of his home-made trailers to a friend of mine and we installed a light kit from walmart on it and had similar problems

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    I think I have a weak ground. I'm going to try running a new ground between the truck and trailer. I'm also going to install a ground block and run ground wires from all the lights to it. I think that will fix the problems.
    I guarantee it is a ground problem.

I've been an electrician for over 3o years and EVERY "trailer-wiring" problem I've ever encountered, was traced back to a bad/intermittent/missing ground connection.

Tell tale signs: Both lights flashing simultaneously...lights flashing alternately with tow-vehicle's lights...turn signal lights coming on when brakes applied...
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I went back over the entire thing today with a buddy and a fluke meter. I re did all of the conections, cleaned all the grounds and they are good, but the problem remains the same. I think I'm going with Mad Macs idea and pick up a converter. Nuthin else makes sense. Never had five wires kick my ass so hard.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I think what you want is a Hoppy Converter, available ay any car parts place, less than $20.

I gave up on it, hooked it to the truck and left for our trip with it still all jacked up. Just stopped for gas and checked it. It is working fine now, go figure !
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links