Problems with my 1987 TW200
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Problems with my 1987 TW200

Problems with my 1987 TW200

New member here, relatively new to using forums and brand new owner of a TW200. I know enough about forms to know that older members sometimes don't like rehashing issues that have already been discussed, that said I will gladly read anything already posted if someone could point me in the right direction.

I recently purchased my 1987 TW from a dealership in the North Dallas area. Buyer beware I should have followed. I wanted one of these bikes for some time and let that cloud my judgement. Any way its mine now.

It starts fairly well and idles good enough after reasonable amount of warm up time. Once I try to roll on the throttle whether sitting in neutral or trying to drive off it sputters and spits and will not accelerate hardly at all. After it runs long enough to be good and warm it begins to falter quite a bit at idle. I'm not sure if its carb issues or timing advance issues or both? Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

Also where can I purchase a service manual? Are there any members in the north Texas area that know where I can get this bike worked on?
    Seems very few shops will work on bikes older than 10 years...

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.
    TW-Brian, elime and jtomelliott49 like this.
    New owner of an old TW200 Hidden Content
    1987 TW200

Welcome to the forum Poppa!

Don't worry about your purchase, we should be able help you figure out your problem and get it fixed. The 1987 was the first TW model year and some on this forum feel that it is the fastest year. This year also has a unique electrical system and a CDI that is considered to be failure prone. From the information that have provided it could carb or fuel related, or CDI related. You should try to rule out any carb or fuel related problems before assuming that the CDI is the problem.

Service manuals can be found for downloading on this forum along with millions of threads on carbs.

Have patience, work with us and we'll get you up and going as quickly as we can.

Brian

How many miles on the bike?

I have two 1987 TW's and so far, knock on wood, have not had any CDI problems.

One thing that really helped a lot when I got my first TW was to open the idle mixture screw about 2 1/2 turns.

IMS1.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanx to everyone for the encouragement so far.
    I'm leaning towards carb issues as well. I also have a little Honda 100 trail bike and have had the carb off it and tore down to clean so I'm kind of familiar with carb work but really only just enough to get by.
    The dealership said they had thru the bike pretty thurough. ? It has new spark plug but when I pulled it too check it, it was pretty sooted with black carbon. Pretty sure that's a sign of running too rich. Just not sure how to attempt to lean it out.
    The odometer shows 3632 miles. The dealership may have replaced the coil or the CDI because the mechanic was saying something about it being unique to that year model bike. Something about it being a DC instead of an AC version?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Welcome to the forum!

It kind of sounds like your choke knob is pulled out, have you double checked that? That would explain all your symptoms, including the sooty plug.

The CDI is specific to the '87. Many of them are still running great after all these years, but many of them have also failed. Fortunately, new '87 CDIs are still available (although expensive).

Good luck!
    jtomelliott49 and Poppasmurf like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Here is a link where TW service manuals can be downloaded:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

Thanx. Yes I have checked the Chock knob and it will not run long at all when the chock is engaged. Good to know there are still parts available for these bikes.
    New owner of an old TW200 Hidden Content
    1987 TW200

Welcome! I too have an 87 with roughly the same amount of miles. It has mostly sat since I got it. Just got it started again last night and I am right where you are so we are suffering through this carb part together. There is a ton of useful info on here and a lot of folks willing to help. You will get it figured out. If I recall I saw a thread on here a while back when I first was trying to work on mine that was all about the carb and carb cleaning, etc. If I find it again before you I will point you to it.

Thanx Imposter71. Its got me a little baffled as to where to start. The spark plug indicates its running rich, lots of black soot on it. Throtle response acts as though it's starving for fuel or lean at higher RPM. Today will be my first opportunity to dig into it and see what I find.

I love my '87 TW. And as TWBrian said earlier in this thread, some people think the '87 is the fastest. This is mostly said in fun, but there does seem to be truth to this thought. Mine is faster than my '99, and handles better.
    Poppasmurf likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links