428 chains - RIVET Master Link OR clip master link Which?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: 428 chains - RIVET Master Link OR clip master link Which?

428 chains - RIVET Master Link OR clip master link Which?

Hey, so I really despise the clip master link, but it seems there is also trouble when installing a rivet style link.

I know a rivet style would probably (maybe?) be harder to install in the woods to repair a chain. A clip style link would be somewhat "easier".

Is one stronger than the other? I know if the clip style link chain outer plate is not pressed far enough onto the pins, the clip grooves on the chain posts are not exposed enough and trying to install the clip will destroy it by splitting the clip. It has happened to me several times, thankfully in the garage and not in the woods.

I now know, from multiple failures ($5 each times 5), that I must really get that plate pressed onto the master link pins before attempting the clip installation.

Wondering if buying rivet style is worth it and finding the correct tool for mushrooming the head of the pins.
    Ken likes this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

My preference is the clip style link with slip on plates.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    My preference is the clip style link with slip on plates.
    That certainly makes it easier, especially if you have to add/remove a section of chain for dual sprockets in the field.

However, motorcycle chain generally has a press fit side plate, just in case the spring clip falls off.

I've actually never heard of a riveted master link for motorcycle chain.

Honestly, a press fit master link with the clip oriented properly (open end trailing) should never give you a problem, and it's just as strong as the rest of the chain.

Even a slip fit side plate is plenty strong, especially for our purposes... you just don't want to lose the spring clip!
    Ken likes this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like the "modified" clip master link -- easy on and easy off.

P6230065.JPG

Same thing for o-ring chain only if in the boon docks and can't compress o-rings enough to get it back together then omit the o-rings on one side of the link. Or you can use a non-o-ring master link on an o-ring chain.

And of course you never leave home without a spare master link, do you?

P4100623.JPG
    Ken, littletommy, grewen and 11 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post

And of course you never leave home without a spare master link, do you?

P4100623.JPG
    ^^ That's a GREAT idea!
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Ken
    I have always used the clip style. If you are overly concerned you can safety wire the clip. I have filed the hole out as pictured above to make it easier to compress the link on for better access to the clip grooves.
    elime, Cornelis and cowboyjeff like this.

An example of a non-o-ring master link on an o-ring chain.

Mst. Lnk1.jpg

I tried safety wiring the master link once. I used the little wire used to close a loaf of bread plastic bag. It stayed on though I am not sure it was ever needed. It was an o-ring master link hence the excess grease and picture taken right after I assembled it. I don't bother with the safety wire anymore.
    P2260836.JPG
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post

I've actually never heard of a riveted master link for motorcycle chain.
    I was under the impression that virtually all stock motorcycle chains had a riveted master link. The "clip-style" is considered to be literally the weakest link in a chain.

The trick I used when replacing the chain on my KTM was recommended on the ADVRider forum: Vise-Grips bearing down on a bb to flare out the rivet head. Did the trick without having to shell out for a special chain tool.

That said, a clip-style master link would probably hold up fine on a TW200, and would make roadside repairs easier if needed.

I'm going to go take a peak at my 2017 and see how it came from the factory.

edited to add:

Color me mistaken: my TW does have a clip-style master link. Maybe its only on higher-powered bikes that that's considered a liability.

Oh, and I love the idea of a spare master link on the key - what's a good source for those?
    Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 07-09-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    cowboyjeff and jtstdub like this.

I like the idea of the spare using slightly opened plate holes for the pins! And omitting the o-rings when assembling (in the field). That would be 1000X easier than trying to press the plate on in the field and then loosing or breaking the clip in half because the grooves aren't exposed enough (so hard for me to see something that small and dark). I have literally spent $30 on master links, just because of broken clips......Learning...Slowly...
    I think my biggest issue has been correctly and fully compressing the plate onto the link so that enough of the clip grooves are exposed to actually install the clip without having it split in half. Once it cracks, it's useless, and then have to get another whole master link kit, and throw out the rest. I looked for just the clips only and I can't find them online. I would just buy a bag of them.

Funny thing is as I wrote the last sentence, I realized I could actually have them made where I work. It's just a stamping on a progressive die. But it wouldn't be cost effective to make here in the USA.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

I pondered the same question to myself when I upgraded to a 428VX chain and new 47T sprocket. To the point that I ordered one of each and made my decision of which to install when I finally got around to the project.
    You answered already in your question what came to mind and made me decide...

not going to be able to change a riveted Master Link in the woods without bringing more tools so...
    IMG_5856.JPG

went with the Master Link Clip. That's what is on all stock TW's anyway. This 428 one is even beefier.
    IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links