TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Ignition switch help

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  elime 
#1 · (Edited)
I brought my TW on the motor home bumper this weekend. So excited to finally have a TW for transport.
However I left the key at home

I butched the ignition switch trying to make it start

Now I need a new ignition switch. EBay shows Chinese cheapies for 35.00 but for the newer bikes as mine is a 87.

They come with a keyed gas cap which I know is different on the newer bikes

Does anyone know if the switch is the same for all TWs or have a solution other than dropping 150.00 for a new OEM part?

#3 ·
Please share the answer

Reactions: Peterb and Cornelis
#5 ·
Sure, I'm sorry Tommy
The earlier models up to 99 I believe share the same ignition switch. The later models have the same housing but different wiring. On ebay they sell cheap Chinese replacements for the 2000+ bikes. Or just buy a OEM switch for 140.00. I ordered the cheapie Chinese part for my older bike but plan on using just the new housing on the old inner switch.
I also plan to put the extra key on the RV keyring so this never happens again

#6 · (Edited)
On my '87 all I have to do is unplug the red plug behind the headlight and I can kick start the engine and ride it all day. It has to be in neutral and the kick stand has to be up. Of course if the gas cap is locked your range is limited.

Auto part Wire Fuel line Engine Electrical supply

And then if you take a little wire and jump as shown by the black line (i.e, the red and brown wires) in the following picture its works the same as turning on the key.
Red Material property Hand Finger Fashion accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.