Higher RPM Sputtering
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Higher RPM Sputtering

Higher RPM Sputtering

600 miles on a 2016 TW200. Started sputtering on my son so I've just started digging in. I struggle to believe a carb issue this early into the game. Cleaned the air filter, does not appear there is a fuel filter, spark plug looks good. Could this petcock issue I'm reading about be a problem with 600 miles? I added the fuel suplement Stable over the winter but we road it monthly and that was sveral tanks ago. Is there a fuel filter somewhere I'm missing? Anything other direction other than fuel I should look at?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    The only stock "fuel filter(s)" are little screens on ends of the petcock inlet tubes. Adding an aftermarket one inline between the petcock and the carb is recommended.

A high RPM only issue could be a result of a fuel flow issue, a tank vent issue, a float setting issue, a carb settings issue, or even an electrical issue. I'd start ruling out the easy stuff, but if it was on warranty, I would take it in and make them deal with it.

If you're going it yourself, I would first try to turn the petcock to RES and see if the issue is still present. Does it act exactly the same while in ON and RES? If no problem solved, then it could be the ON tube/screen has a problem. Next, I would see if it was a venting issue. The tank vents through the gas cap key hole on the 49 state models. Maybe crack the cap and see if that helps...if yes, venting may be a problem, if no, move on. Next, I would check the float level setting via the piece of clear tubing method. At high RPM the fuel demand in the float bowl is at its highest. If it's not getting enough, you will have some sputtering issues.

Next, I would check/replace the spark plug, and make sure that the wire is properly attached to see if this made it better.

At this point I'd probably try changing out the fuel. I usually dump the tank into a large funnel feeding a good empty fuel can, which I then dump into my truck that is better suited to dilute and eat up any suspect gasoline. If a fresh tank doesn't solve the problem, I would dump a half a can of Seafoam into the new fuel. Run it a bit. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Repeat over several days so the stuff has a chance to work and break down any small stuff that might be plugging up the carb somewhere. If this doesn't work, then I would move onto getting into the carb.

Next, I'd check the pilot air screw setting. The pilot circuit supplies fuel at all points of revs and throttle, so a setting too lean can be suspect. The screw is hidden under a plug that must be removed to gain access. Once done, the stock setting is about 1 turn out from a light seat. Most of us find about 2.5 turns out to be ideal. If none of this has solved it, I'd remove and get into the carb for inspection and cleaning.

If the carb stuff didn't help, I'd move onto electrical testing. Oh, and also check your airbox to make sure critters didn't nest it during storage. It happens, and it can mess stuff up, including your brain and patience.

FYI, all of the useful stuff you'll need is in the Technical Write-Ups including service manual downloads.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

What he said.
    littletommy and cowboyjeff like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome, back on it tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks for the detail Irppcer!

Everything said is good advice but first thing I would do would be to look at the spark plug. That is easy, free, and just may give a clue as to what is wrong.

Is this a high speed miss or a miss that only happens at wide open throttle and goes away if you close the throttle just a teeny bit?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

i might start with the Sea Foam, even easier and cheaper than a spark plug. My guess it is carb, float related, as the main jet is pretty large and hard to clog. Second guess, midrange needle, it has an effect at suprisingly wide throttle openings, but what do I know I do know that 89 octane recreational fuel is way less trouble and I have zero troube when I use it. Ethanol fuel is brutal on small engines.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

I just fixed mine with this issue today. I suspected fuel when I first heard it. Came to the forums and they mentioned CDI. It's free to clean the carb, so I started there. Mine had a small piece of what appeared to be float bowl gasket material that had hardened stuck in the High Jet. This made it sputter really bad any time I tried to go above idle. After cleaning the whole carb and replacing, it runs like new. I just bought this today, and have never ridden a TW200 before. I'm impressed with how much power this little motor produces. I'm used to much larger bikes (Harley Dressers, Triumph Sport Touring, etc, so I was concerned about that.

Finally got around to addressing the issue. After hoping the Seafoam soaking would get me off easy (it didn't), I pulled and cleaned the entire carb, inspecting the diaphragm. This did the trick and once again she purrs along just wonderfully.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jim
    littletommy, Tweaker and admiral like this.

SuperSport Im with you, I have a couple Harleys too, They are fun to look at but I rather ride my Tw's any day.

Now the Mules! that's the real ride. Ha Ha!
    Talk about those loud pipes, Mules are well some times they are a little voice tress.

Quote Originally Posted by houstons4 View Post
    Finally got around to addressing the issue. After hoping the Seafoam soaking would get me off easy (it didn't), I pulled and cleaned the entire carb, inspecting the diaphragm. This did the trick and once again she purrs along just wonderfully.
    Glad it is fixed.
    What did you find inside the carb?
    littletommy likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360