Difficulty with shifter
Close

Hi I'm new here and with a tw200. I've only had my 09 tw for a couple of weeks now and haven't really had a dual sport since 72. Ok, after driving the tw for awhile I find it difficult to get into neutral when I park. Each time I try, first and second engage, bypassing neutral altogether. It feels stiff while doing this, even rolling the bike back and forth with the engine still running doesn't seem to help. I don't have this problem after short trips though. Any thoughts?

I've found that when the TW starts to get hot, its harder to shift. Thats probably why its harder to find neutral on longer rides.

Also, chain slack plays a major role in how the bike shifts. You need it just right.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct oil. I used a heavier oil once and I could barely shift it at all.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I've found that when the TW starts to get hot, its harder to shift. Thats probably why its harder to find neutral on longer rides.

Also, chain slack plays a major role in how the bike shifts. You need it just right.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct oil. I used a heavier oil once and I could barely shift it at all.

Definitely watch the oil. When I used 20-50 for the summer temps my gearbox was virtually seized up trying to shift into 2nd at 10-15 mph. Sometimes it would be so bad I'd end up back at 0 mph and still be stuck in first. It was too weird. Back to 10-40 and everything was fine.

Popping a bike out of gear can be tricky, but with practice you should be able to learn to give it that tiny super-light tap and get it right most of the time. When I pull in our driveway and cruise it in 2nd I can pop it out of gear shut the bike off and roll into the shed 49 times out of 50. Every once in a while I pop into first. Practice!
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TW trannies are difficult. Just the way they are. A good synthetic oil usually helps a lot.

Thanks guys. I guess 1st step is to change the oil, (don't know what last owner used).

Any on-line parts dealers you would recomend? Both local dealers folded last year. Thanks.

Mine does the exact same thing as yours. I'm trying that mobil racing 4t or whatever its called next oil change and see if it helps.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Quote Originally Posted by importmech View Post
    Mine does the exact same thing as yours. I'm trying that mobil racing 4t or whatever its called next oil change and see if it helps.

I see that you list Woodland as home, Are there any local parts available nearby? I live in Suisun (by Fairfield)

Quote Originally Posted by feo View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess 1st step is to change the oil, (don't know what last owner used).

Any on-line parts dealers you would recomend? Both local dealers folded last year. Thanks.

I use these folks for OEM parts. Very low shipping costs.

http://www.boats.net/

we have a local motorcycle shop but your best bet is probably online or yamaha dealer in Sacramento.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Sponosred Links