Drop in power at high speed.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey Guys,

You might have seen my post about purchasing my first bike. Anyhow I got a 2002 TW200 and picked it up last week.

On the drive home I hit highway speeds of around 80-90km. I started to notice at high speed rounding 90km my bike would almost "cut out" or drop in power... Similar to when your drive a manual car and bounce off the redline.

I brought it into the mechanic who changed the spark plugs, changed 2 gaskets in the engine (we notice the front of the engine was a bit damp with oil) and also did an oil change... he removed 2L of oil (when the bike should only have 1L) He mentioned the oil had a "metal ash mixture" (sorry they speak Chinese so translation is difficult)... He did a test drive and the problem was the same. The mechanic worries their could be something major and the cost to repair could be more then the cost to just resell and count my losses. Tonight he's going to adjust the carb and see how that helps.

So my main question is, is 90km just too high of a speed for this bike? Has anyone heard of similar issues?

I really don't want to have to sell the bike, I'd like to solve the issue so long as it doesn't break the bank.

feedback is appreciated.

N.

I'm pretty sure "mine" ( ie the wife's ) does 100 easily enough... altho I never rode it anywhere much - ( most my local roads in sai kung are 70 at most so I do 85 on them - i never took it on the highway since I never had need to - altho I wouldnt hesitate if I had too )

metal ash? - well ash is sometimes a mistranslation of smoke... so basically he's saying its burning some oil? is this the new oil you just had put in.. can you see the colour of the oil in the inspection window... takes a while for it to go black usually...

and 2 liters? hmm that would put a lot of pressure on the inside of the engine............ ( some people just shouldnt have motorbikes!!!!! )

which gasket did he change? at the front you say? ( blowing due massive pressure build up - too much oil )

( would that be the head gasket? or the base gasket? in which case he's had the piston off.......... shame you cant ask him.. )

is this a fuel issue? maybe the carb wants a clean? - altho I would have thought you would have issues in other gears at top of rev in that case.. ie reving the b0LL0x off it - is it ok?

other factors could be a breather hose - but again that would affect other gears?

new spark plug should only be HK$ 50 -90 depending on brand - so thats no big deal

hopefully someone on the forum can shed some light on my stabs in the dark.

alternativley before you give up call Yuen at ACE motors - just on the other side of cross harbour tunnel -

speaks english and is cheap too.....

http://www2.ibike.com.hk/client/?client=ace
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Thanks for the reply i'll give a bit more info... I do actually notice this at high rev in all gears - Again this the first bike I've had / driven... I understand the mechanics of driving a manual - I drive manual cars so that's not an issue BUT what I did notice when I'm getting in higher revs of low gears it also cuts the power - I thought this might have been a rev limiter cause I don't know any better.. He's going to give the carbs a cleaning tonight and re-drive it.

I'm not sure what gaskets he replaced, as my Chinese is only so good.. but he replaced two, and they were cheap.. it only cost me 110hkd to replace (which is like 15 bucks US!?)

The owner had not changed the oil in 7 months and had not drive the bike in 3... I notice the power cut-outs before oil, gasket and plug change... the mechanic said its still similar after he drove it (I've yet to pick it up)

I'll post again when i get more info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

HK$115??? - cant have been the head gaskets - probably at the side and front? or maybe cylinder head cover gasket....

i'm gonna guess its dirty float chamber... or blocked jet in the carb

I cleaned mine myself when fault tracking my faulty sidestand switch..

- there's a tutorial on here how to do it... - its not actually that difficult

if its not that then check the inline fuel filter - not enough fuel at high RPM..

good luck!

*edit*

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...carb-cleaning/
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

this thread sounds similar to this other thread...

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...agnostic-help/

also if you clean your carb...they suggest using a guitar string...i suggest using a small set of welding tip cleaners to clean the holes in the jet

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search=we...e=CAT_REC_PRED

Thanks point I'll post back when I figure it out.

I bet its the cdi

I visited the Mechanic on Saturday. He'd asked to hold my bike for a couple more days... he stumped by the problem as cleaning the carb didn't help.

He has a friend who's running a TW200 and he's going to get a hold of that bike for parts to try swapping the carb...RisingSun, thanks for your post i'm going to have him try the CDI as well to see if that improves things

One thing the mechanic said was because my bike has a custom exhaust that could be part of the problem?... again sorry my chinese is only so good so translation is hard, but the mechanic is saying that he feels because of the custom exhaust that maybe the bike isnt getting enough fuel/air so i might need a bigger fuel injector!? can someone comment on this - is this common on TW's when you swamp exhaust you should also swap something else!?

thanks

Nerk

Good news all! I picked up my bike yesterday and she's all fixed.

I'm told it was the ignition coil pack and the cable. (I assume that's CDI!?) Again i'm working with Chinese translation to English so i struggle a bit..

anyhow the total cost of my time in the shop was 1500HKD (190usd)

Total work completed:

1. Oil change: 120HKD

2. New spark plug 60HKD

3. 2 new gaskets 120HKD

4. Carb cleaning - 500hkd

7. Ignition coil pack and cable - 700 hkd

I hope this helps others having the sample problem.

Thank you for giving us the answers to your problems. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links