Oil change - switch to synthetic?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I'm hoping to do an oil change this weekend. At the risk of starting a "great debate", should I switch to a synthetic oil? I've been using good old Yamalube from the dealer in the past. I'd say the bike could shift a little easier than what it does. I've adjusted the chain and that helps, but occasionally find things a little rougher than I'd like. With Synth oil help? If so, which would be a good choice? Other than draining out the old stuff, if there anything else to consider when making the switch?

=-=-=-=-=-

No real need to reply I guess. I see I should've searched the topic before this post. There's more reading on the subject than I have time for already. Reply if you like, but no sense in beating this horse anymore. I'd delete this post were that possible. Forgive the intrusion and return to your normal programming.

Technological advances in cleaning up dino oils have brought base stocks pretty close to ester-based synthetics, but the cost has also risen. Pretty much the new technologies do a better job of removing impurities and rearrange the dino molecules closer to true synthetic. Any synthetic specifically for motorcycles in the proper viscosity for your weather and riding style will do. I use Mobil 1 because I found good quantities at a very good price. Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil are also very good, but prices are high. These four lead the pack in lab and real-world testing, but the others are catching up.

Avoid oils intended for diesels. Recent formulation changes have left these oils with insufficient ZDDP to protect TW cams and rockers, and additives that improve fuel efficiency put TW clutches at risk. Your national government at work, making life difficult.

my 00 had a little over 8k miles when i got it last spring...i wasn't even sure what the 2 previous owners used but i did an oil change right away using synthetic mobil 1 4t...i used this same oil in my 05 cbr 600rr...switching from regular oil to full synthetic made a difference in shifting smoothness on that bike so i figured i'd use it on this bike...i'd say do it but don't flip flop, if you go synthetic stick with it

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have a bottle of mobil 4t racing sythetic on my counter. Hoping it will cure the hard to get in neutral when engine is really hot problem. Adding an oil cooler is on my to do list too.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I have put on about 500 miles since I purchased my TW 2005. I changed the oil as soon as I brought it home from Utah. It had 1000 miles on it and probably the original oil in it. I did the first oil change with Yamalube 20-50. Since most all of my riding is trail riding, I found that shifting from 1st to 2nd and back has at time left me in a predicament; neutral and a gravity induced reverse, usually when I am going up something very steep. Those times turned out to be the least fun time of that particular adventure.

I did research shifting on this forum and found the best recommendation to be a change to synthetic oil. Qwerty seems to be a very thorough in his research. So I have found that following his lead is a good way to go; so this morning I went over to O'Reily's and got a quart of Mobile 1 Racing T4 10-40 oil. As I type this, the old oil is draining. I will give an update on the Mobile 1 perfomance after our next ride which looks like next week.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Boise View Post
    I have put on about 500 miles since I purchased my TW 2005. I changed the oil as soon as I brought it home from Utah. It had 1000 miles on it and probably the original oil in it. I did the first oil change with Yamalube 20-50. Since most all of my riding is trail riding, I found that shifting from 1st to 2nd and back has at time left me in a predicament; neutral and a gravity induced reverse, usually when I am going up something very steep. Those times turned out to be the least fun time of that particular adventure.

I did research shifting on this forum and found the best recommendation to be a change to synthetic oil. Qwerty seems to be a very thorough in his research. So I have found that following his lead is a good way to go; so this morning I went over to O'Reily's and got a quart of Mobile 1 Racing T4 10-40 oil. As I type this, the old oil is draining. I will give an update on the Mobile 1 perfomance after our next ride which looks like next week.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Hey True,

No worries.

One vote for Amsoil here. I use it in 17 different vehicles and use their grease/lubes. In consideration of this, I have been a T1 certified dealer for 15 years.

No, I don't hawk the oil, but for the annual cost of my dealer license I get a significant enough price break that it makes Amsoil competitive with conventional oil costs.

I have several buds that use it as well, and we combine purchases which saves us more on shipping/group rates.

Along with the purchase price savings, I make more than enough commission off just my own purchases to more than renew my annual license . . . it's a good merry-go-round.

Just a thought on saving some money and still taking great care of your rigs. And it works even better if you have some friends local to share benefit/cost with.

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Yamalube out and Amsoil in just 2 days ago on my new '06 with 4K miles. Much quieter engine and much smoother shifting.

BTW I used 20-50 because I could get it local. $10 a quart.

Quote Originally Posted by Truelight View Post
    ... should I switch to a synthetic oil? ...
    yes...
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

RTG
    Great topic!

I've been thinking of making the switch myself.

Does any one have any experience with Motul and or Bel Ray synthetic?

A TON of guys were using Motul Synthetic in there motorcross bikes when i was hanging around and riding some of the MX tracks in SoCal.

Kinda made me wanna put some in my TW and make the switch.

-Todd
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links