Slipping clutch
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree26Likes
  • 3 Post By Howsbentley
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 3 Post By Howsbentley
  • 3 Post By Ken
  • 3 Post By Howsbentley
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By Howsbentley
  • 2 Post By drstimpy
  • 2 Post By Ken
  • 4 Post By GCFishguy

Thread: Slipping clutch

  1. #1
    Senior Member Howsbentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Memphis,Tn
    Posts
    208

    Slipping clutch

    Have a new to me '13 with 875 miles, 250 of which I logged and problem has been constant since I got it. I have read the clutch lever spring threads and it's as it should be. Problem is clutch slips when I try to wind up the Rpms. If I shift earlier it catches fine. No slipping.
    Say I'm steady at 30 mph in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle to wind it up to higher rpm the clutch slips. Same with any gear. It eventually stops slipping but it's like I'm holding the clutch lever until it catches.

    So I changed oil today- used yamalube 10w-40 as the previous owner claims he did at 500 miles. Oil filter was not full of debris but had what I expect is normal amounts of metal shavings for its age.

    So should I put a few miles on this new oil, drain, change again or should I pull the clutch basket and inspect/replace parts? I can't imagine the clutch being spent at the low mileage but I suppose one could cook a clutch if the conditions were right. Love the TW and love this forum. Thanks everyone.


    '13 TW200
    AT
    Ken, littletommy and drstimpy like this.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,257
    Brother Bentley, Did you do an oil change when you first got it? Is it any better since you changed the oil? Do you have a little free-play at the clutch lever? Is the pointer on the clutch push lever assembly pointing to the raised line on the top of the crankcase? The clutch cable is out of adjustment or the clutch is worn out or needs adjusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsbentley View Post
    Have a new to me '13 with 875 miles, 250 of which I logged and problem has been constant since I got it. I have read the clutch lever spring threads and it's as it should be. Problem is clutch slips when I try to wind up the Rpms. If I shift earlier it catches fine. No slipping.
    Say I'm steady at 30 mph in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle to wind it up to higher rpm the clutch slips. Same with any gear. It eventually stops slipping but it's like I'm holding the clutch lever until it catches.

    So I changed oil today- used yamalube 10w-40 as the previous owner claims he did at 500 miles. Oil filter was not full of debris but had what I expect is normal amounts of metal shavings for its age.

    So should I put a few miles on this new oil, drain, change again or should I pull the clutch basket and inspect/replace parts? I can't imagine the clutch being spent at the low mileage but I suppose one could cook a clutch if the conditions were right. Love the TW and love this forum. Thanks everyone.


    '13 TW200
    AT
    Ken and Toecutter like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member Howsbentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Memphis,Tn
    Posts
    208

    Slipping clutch

    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Brother Bentley, Did you do an oil change when you first got it? Is it any better since you changed the oil? Do you have a little free-play at the clutch lever? Is the pointer on the clutch push lever assembly pointing to the raised line on the top of the crankcase? The clutch cable is out of adjustment or the clutch is worn out or needs adjusting.
    Thanks LT. It is still slipping after oil change today. Previous owner said he changed oil at 500 miles, had 6xx when I got it. Today is my first oil change. I adjusted cable at lever 200 miles ago. It was tight so I adjusted so that it has 1/2" to 3/4" of free play. I have not inspected pointer or line on crankcase. Will do that asap. Thanks again LT you rock!!

    Oops! No excuse for my error but I'll toss one out there anyway. Return spring was not connected correctly!#!!! I read that thread before I even owned a TW, just revisited it and found my error. I was looking at the wrong end of the spring. Duh sorry to fill your forum with unnecessary posts. I fixed the spring and will go for a test ride now.

    '13 TW200
    AT
    Last edited by Howsbentley; 07-22-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Ken, littletommy and Toecutter like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Ken
    Ken is offline
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,900
    Add 3 ounces of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer. I bet the PO used car oil in it. I ran two bikes for years using car oil and the Lucas. It is worth a shot instead of changing clutches instantly. I still have the original clutches on the one bike as I got it. I only add the Lucas if it slips not even every oil change. My 2 cents worth. Many will say just change your clutches out.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Howsbentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Memphis,Tn
    Posts
    208

    Slipping clutch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Add 3 ounces of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil stabilizer. I bet the PO used car oil in it. I ran two bikes for years using car oil and the Lucas. It is worth a shot instead of changing clutches instantly. I still have the original clutches on the one bike as I got it. I only add the Lucas if it slips not even every oil change. My 2 cents worth. Many will say just change your clutches out.
    Thanks Ken! That sounds better than replacing clutch!

    Turns out I'm a dumbass. Return spring was not attached as it should be. Fixed that and just went for test ride- all is well now.

    Next project I'll see how I badly I can muck up adjusting the pilot screw. thanks again LT and Ken, sorry to use forum space and your time with my mistake.
    jtstdub, Toecutter and littletommy like this.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator littletommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    17,257
    We're here to help our fellow man brother Bentley, besides, I kinda like you...haha. Just holler anytime bro, we'll do our best. I would reduce that free-play a tiny bit. It's probably fine the way you have it adjusted, I just adjust it enough so the lever is loose a tiny bit and verifying that it is indeed engaged all the way. Enjoy that bike bro!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsbentley View Post
    Thanks Ken! That sounds better than replacing clutch!

    Turns out I'm a dumbass. Return spring was not attached as it should be. Fixed that and just went for test ride- all is well now.

    Next project I'll see how I badly I can muck up adjusting the pilot screw. thanks again LT and Ken, sorry to use forum space and your time with my mistake.
    Howsbentley and Toecutter like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

    John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

    Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

  8. #7
    Senior Member Howsbentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Memphis,Tn
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    We're here to help our fellow man brother Bentley, besides, I kinda like you...haha. Just holler anytime bro, we'll do our best. I would reduce that free-play a tiny bit. It's probably fine the way you have it adjusted, I just adjust it enough so the lever is loose a tiny bit and verifying that it is indeed engaged all the way. Enjoy that bike bro!!
    Thx!! Took another test ride, more like my first real ride since I've owned it. Now I can wind it up a bit. Fun thing about it is I can redline 1st three gears and barely be speeding. Sounds like I'm going really fast but not so much. I can see how you guys get hooked on the TW.


    '13 TW200
    AT
    littletommy and Fred like this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member drstimpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rochester, MA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsbentley View Post
    Have a new to me '13 with 875 miles, 250 of which I logged and problem has been constant since I got it. I have read the clutch lever spring threads and it's as it should be. Problem is clutch slips when I try to wind up the Rpms. If I shift earlier it catches fine. No slipping.
    Say I'm steady at 30 mph in 3rd gear. If I roll the throttle to wind it up to higher rpm the clutch slips. Same with any gear. It eventually stops slipping but it's like I'm holding the clutch lever until it catches.

    So I changed oil today- used yamalube 10w-40 as the previous owner claims he did at 500 miles. Oil filter was not full of debris but had what I expect is normal amounts of metal shavings for its age.

    So should I put a few miles on this new oil, drain, change again or should I pull the clutch basket and inspect/replace parts? I can't imagine the clutch being spent at the low mileage but I suppose one could cook a clutch if the conditions were right. Love the TW and love this forum. Thanks everyone.


    '13 TW200
    AT
    Me too me too!
    Going to try new clutch springs...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    littletommy and Howsbentley like this.
    Some must watch while others must sleep.
    2013 TW 200
    2014 NC700x
    2016 k1600gt
    2016 TW 200

  10. #9
    Ken
    Ken is offline
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,900
    On the note of redlining. This morning, approaching a light, wobbling to not put my feet down, light turns green and I'M off in the lead
    I hit my comfortable 50 mph then the vet finally catches up with me and blows by me. It's funny how quick they are while being so slow. The TW is fun.
    littletommy and Fred like this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member GCFishguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada ehh?
    Posts
    339
    As they say, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow."
    We spent the last 5 days with the tent trailer on an awesome island near here, Grand Manan. Awesome scenery, tons of deserted beaches, and a pile of roads that lead to small (hopefully trout-filled) lakes and ponds. Saw ATV trails all over the place. Found a nice little secluded cottage on a cliff that we decided to rent for a week next year for our 25th anniversary. "So, hmm...since we won't be pulling the tent trailer next year...we could put the TW on the trailer and bring it along...right?" "Yes dear....."
    I just got the green light to bring the TW and fishing gear along on our anniversary trip!! Woot! She's a keeper. Now if I could just get her on a bike.

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Clutch?? Slipping
    By akamax in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-20-2016, 06:24 AM
  2. Slipping clutch...????
    By rastaman in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM
  3. Slipping Clutch
    By yawabala in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
  4. Another Slipping Clutch
    By FnMag in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
  5. clutch slipping
    By dubstep in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM