'07 Valve bent or stuck?...
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: '07 Valve bent or stuck?...

'07 Valve bent or stuck?...

Hey fellow TDubbers,

Been trolling this forum for months now and received tons of awesome info especially in the technical write ups section! Thank you to all of you that have spent tons of time sharing your knowledge with me and everyone else!

Ran into a problem with my new (to me) 2007 TW200. Was cruising down the road in southern Alabama at about 40 mph, when the ol girl just died like she was empty on fuel. Here's a bit of the trouble shooting I have done so far to give some background and help narrow conclusions:

-Fuel Tank was and is full
    -All switches on and peacock open (tried both on and reserve)
    -Cleaned carb and jets and ensured fuel was getting through and float working the way it should
    -Battery completely charged
    -Spark Plug replaced and check that spark was good
    -Sprayed starter fluid directly into carb and then into spark plug hole, still nothing
    -The guy I bought it from just had $500 in work done to it to include all the normal service stuff, just cause he wanted to sell it in tip top shape

Long story longer:
    Bike has power and cranks and cranks but wouldn't start. Finally took it to the local shop to diagnose the problem. The guy checked it out and said there's no compression and for some reason the timing chain is incredibly tight!

Brought it home, tore the head off and this is what I found. Valve is stuck open a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch. What could the cause be? Is it just the valve that need replaced or should I dig in to the piston also? Timing seemed to be way off before I took it apart too. Any underlying issues that you all may have experienced or could think of that I should check also?

What is the best way to fix this and where's the best place to go for parts? Thank you in advance for taking the time and helping me out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Ken
    Is the valve adjustment too tight? Will the valve close if you back out the adjustment screw?
    littletommy and Archi'sBunker like this.

No, I backed it out all the way and even tapped on the valve to try and get it to move a bit but it is either bent, or stuck really well. Didn't want to pound on it too hard until hearing some feedback.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!!

Not sure, but it looks bent to me. No damage to the cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Archi'sBunker View Post
    No, I backed it out all the way and even tapped on the valve to try and get it to move a bit but it is either bent, or stuck really well. Didn't want to pound on it too hard until hearing some feedback.
    Ken and Archi'sBunker like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Cylinder seems to be in great shape and no sign of metal or ring pieces. Just a good amount of carbon build up. I think I have a pic...
    littletommy likes this.

Sounds like you just need to rebuild the head then, then go through the timing, adjustments carefully. We have Shop Manuals in the Technical section that might help you. We'll help you through this if you need it, so keep us posted.
    Cylinder seems to be in great shape and no sign of metal or ring pieces. Just a good amount of carbon build up. I think I have a pic...
    Archi'sBunker likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks a ton! Is there a kit anywhere or finding a used head the best option?
    littletommy likes this.

If there is no touching between the valve adjuster on the rocker arm and the valve tip and the valve still won't close, the only possibility is that the valve stem is bent, leaving out the very remote idea that there is something stuck between the valve head and the seat...which would be obvious when you pull the valve. It doesn't take much of a bend to freeze the valve.

Your piston is probably fine, fix the valve and then test for compression.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I hope that is the case! I'll see what I can do about tracking down parts and doing research on how to change these little suckers... I'll keep ya posted. Thanks!
    littletommy likes this.

Ken
    Check your oil filter for the 4 holes. The lack of lubrication has ruined many a head.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links