Vibration sounds
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Vibration sounds

Vibration sounds

Just bought a brand new TW 200, I've noticed that I can hear vibration noises at certain rpm . I've checked it over and don't notice anything loose. Probably just the way they are, I've got an XT225 as well and it has a bit of noise but not like this bike. I've also noticed that when I tightened my clutch free play to 2mm the bike lurches forward with the clutch pulled and stalls. But only when it starts from a cold engine. After that it's just fine, I'm guess due to the fact it's brand new and needs to be broken in more.

The clutch issue I’m afraid you’ll have to get used to – they all do it from cold – oil changes help, but only for a limited time. Most of us rev it then stick it in gear holding the front brake (though I’ve heard of several different ways to do this, but personally lack the patience)

The vibration issue is far more simple – Yamaha introduced it as an indicator that the engine is running – in the absence of a rev counter on these things, the more it vibrates, the higher the revs. Wait till you get it up to 60mph, you’ll think it’s about to explode. It never will explode of course, but your fillings may rattle loose before you realise it’s just another charm that the humble TW has – that and a seat that will numb your nuts in under an hour.

The clunk in the forks also is normal – if you don’t have it, take it back to the dealer and complain …….

(Welcome to the asylum)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome to the forum!

Both of those things are normal for the TW. They're not the most refined machines which is part of their appeal. Yep, they vibrate. And many of us experience the sticking clutch plates when the engine hasn't quite warmed up. Even when it doesn't stall there's often a good thunk when you drop it into 1st as you set off. Some folks will have good advice on oil to use; some oils reduce the sticking plates. I just use Yamalube.

Good luck with your new bike!
    SanDue, Ken, cowboyjeff and 1 others like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!
    SanDue, Ken and Elvesus like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Ken
    Welcome. Never wear steel shank boots. The vibration is twice as bad.

TW Vibrations

Thanks for the info boys, glad I asked as I was not aware of those things. So if you warm up the engine for awhile the first gear clunk or stall would subside?

To eliminate the thunk when you drop it in gear, before starting it, have the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth until the clutch plates release. You'll feel it, then it won't clunk...
    Dryden-Tdub, Peterb and Elvesus like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

On really cold days a good warm-up will help with the sticking plates. New TWs generally don't require much warm-up time - on warm summer days less than a minute is all that's needed. Do what LT suggested (before starting, put it in 1st, pull in the clutch and rock the bike forward and backward). Or what I sometimes do is, after my short warm-up, roll the bike slightly forward as I drop it into 1st. It still thunks a bit but it's not as much and it doesn't stall.
    littletommy likes this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Quote Originally Posted by Freon12 View Post
    Thanks for the info boys, glad I asked as I was not aware of those things. So if you warm up the engine for awhile the first gear clunk or stall would subside?
    It will only stall/clunk the first time you put it in gear - it's fine after that - once you know it's going to try to do this you can work around it - I blip the throttle, LT rolls it first, Elvesus whispers to it - it's all good ....
    Dryden-Tdub and littletommy like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I'll try that today , thanks again.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links