Change sprocket with chain at 1,000 miles?
Close

I've been reading as many threads on chain replacement as I can find but haven't found the answer to this qeuestion. If I replace the stock chain with an o-ring at 1,000 miles, do I need to replace the sprockets too? From what I've read, the stock chain wears the sprockets more than an o-ring would so I figured if I changed it now before there was any significant wear, I would probably get more life out of them with the o-ring. Does that make sense or am I not looking at this the right way?

Thanks.
    Steve

------------------------

2006 TW200

Assuming your chain has been properly maintained with lubrication and tension adjustments, I would think your sprockets are in great shape and would not need changing. I changed my chain to an O-ring recently at approx. 1100 miles and there was no visible wear on the sprockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Benson View Post
    Assuming your chain has been properly maintained with lubrication and tension adjustments, I would think your sprockets are in great shape and would not need changing. I changed my chain to an O-ring recently at approx. 1100 miles and there was no visible wear on the sprockets.

Thanks Scott. That confirms my thinking too. The chain has been tensioned and lubricated properly so sounds like a chain replacement should be all that's needed.
    Steve

------------------------

2006 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

While there are many folks that feel strongly that the chain/sprockets must be changed together, I changed all of mine out at roughly 1K and there was zero wear on the front or rear sprocket.

I found a buddy that needed to change his out and gave him the old chain/sprocket combo, made us both smile!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

I read all the posts regarding the bad quality of the original chain and how fast it will deteriorate. So I bought an O-ring chain and stock sprockets when I bought my tdub new, almost 11 months ago. Put almost 7000 miles on it and still have the original chain. Just last week adjusted to #4 on the snake. I would advise to wait with changing to an O-ring until the original chain is really gone.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I read all the posts regarding the bad quality of the original chain and how fast it will deteriorate. So I bought an O-ring chain and stock sprockets when I bought my tdub new, almost 11 months ago. Put almost 7000 miles on it and still have the original chain. Just last week adjusted to #4 on the snake. I would advise to wait with changing to an O-ring until the original chain is really gone.
    +1 ... have 8,000+ on original stock chain. With proper lube and tension checks I think it will reach 10,000... at least that's my goal.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

i don't think the 2 previous owners of my bike believed in lube...had just over 8k miles on it and i changed both sprockets and the chain out...there was a lot of sideways play in the chain...the sprockets weren't too bad but 8k was too much not to do it at the same time...at 1k miles you don't really need to swap it but if you have the cash and want to swap it, just do it, but save that old chain for emergency use or sell it

edit: here's your answer from another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    The stock chain is junk and will wear quickly, taking out the sprockets with it. This is the only genuine soft spot on a stock TW. An o-ring chain will pay for itself many times over in both money and time invested in chain maintenance.

I would just do the chain if the sprockets look new. Its nice not having to adjust it time every time you go for a ride.

Sorry for digging this up but this post strikes my problem.
    This is my first bike and I am trying to learn everything that I can on my own and you guys have been a massive help!

Yesterday during some heavy riding my chain must have loosened. I wasnt aware and eventually it came off, jammed and bent so hard it snapped.
    (It was a test ride. I successfully managed to drill out the float valve seat with a hand drill in my living room quite happy about that)

So Im getting a new o-ring but my sprockets have been replaced recently by the previous owner. I know I should replace the whole set, but I was hoping to avoid doing that considering the sprockets still have about 80% of their life left.

motur zebatka.jpg
    (if you keep clicking on the photo it should zoom up pretty big)

Apart from the paint chipping off, does the profile on this sprocket seem much worn?

It seems logical to think that installing a new chain on the old sprocket would mean that it would wear much quicker. But following that thought, it would seem logical to think that its only going to wear it until the damage balances.
    In other words, a sprocket with 2k miles on it would only add 2k miles to the chain and then they would wear together equally. So the chain would wear the chain super quickly but the sprocket would not make more damage than riding for 2000 miles would.

If that would be the case I would be okay with adding 2k miles to my chain since its supposed to last for 10-15k miles. I already have bought a proper chain lube.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by noreek; 04-25-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Changing out the sprockets AND chain simultaneously will help your peace-of-mind.
    It's not that much more expensive to replace the whole drive, and then you won't have to worry about it for a long time.

Like the man says: "Pay me now or pay me later" and that sums up pretty much everything about bike maintenance...

Sponosred Links