Kick stand bolt and.....
Close

Just about had a boo boo on my new bike today......I started to turn and realized my kick stand was partly down.

I reached down with my foot to kick it back up and guess what.......it went down, which resulted in a rather quick stop I had not planned for.

I started going down and caught myself halfway and just gently laid it on the ground and hopped over it.......thank goodness this bike is small enough to get over and out of the way.

Hurt nothing at all but my pride. Embarrassed me to no end, I live in the woods so no one saw me.

So here is what happened. Somehow the bolt that holds the kickstand on was backed out almost all the way.....making it somewhat floppy on the mount I guess.

It somehow came down, maybe by bumps in the road who knows.

So I found a lock nut that "maybe" fits and put it on and tightened it up.....but I am not sure it ever had one. And if it did not, then my bolt threads may be worn or the mount itself may be worn from the bolt moving around.

I got it tight and the put a drop of oil to make it smooth.

Does anyone know if this thing had a nut on the back ?

Thanks for any help.

Revolverman.
    The older I get, the more I realize it's easier to be kind in most situations.

Mine has a nut on the back of it, but for the life of me, I cannot get it off. I don't know if the nut is welded on or what, but it won't budge. The stand has some slop in it, but the spring holds it in place. Is your kick stand spring hooked up correctly?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thanks for the reply. Yes the spring is on and working. I am going to check this out a little closer in the morning.......a little strange it came down.

Revolverman.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It is weird that it came down. Maybe it wan't fully up? I've ridden over some nasty terrain and mine has never budged. Let us know what you find out.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

my 89 has a nut on back (looks like locknut) and doesn't appear to be welded but dirty so hard to tell.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I looked online today at the kick stand parts and it does come with a nut. Can't tell if its a locknut though. So I will leave the nut on that I put on .

All I can figure out that happened was operator error......in other words I goofed. I probably did not get the kick stand all the way up and because of the bolt backed out it must have held the stand at a in between position until it decided to go all the way down and killed my motor.

Thank goodness this happened going about 4 mile per hour and on leaves.

I don't expect this to happen again though.

Revolverman.

Good fix! Might want to check other hardware. Needs to be done on a regular basis.

Sponosred Links