That !$%/* head gasket leak keeps worsening!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm not looking for any help on that issue, I know the only way to get over it is to replace that piece of paper Yamaha used as base gasket.

I just felt like sharing my disappointment. Last weekend, in an effort to slow the leak, I followed some advices I red here and retorqued the head bolts. Not by much, just 1/32 of a turn when possible. Guess what happened? The small leak that was first located to the front left side developed to the entire left side of the head!!! I thought that the oil was just "migrating" to the back of the head and cleaned the thing yesterday. I went for a 30 minutes ride this morning and checked the head again to see that the side and back (the gasket) was effectively leaking!

My attempt to reduce the problem just worsened it! I have to change the base gasket sooner than I expected and I don't have much time on my hand for the next couple weeks. I'll have to keep a good eye on the oil level (I was already checking it before each ride) for sure.

I'm mainly disappointed because when I bought my TW, I thought that because it was almost new, I would not have to do any wrenching but regular maintenance. It really "(*&/ me off to have to take that head of.

Thank you for letting me share my feeling with you. I feel a little better already.

This is a good time to add a Wiseco piston and see how the motor is wearing.

Ronnydog

Thank you ronnydog for the suggestion, but I'm not sure I want to compromise the reliability of the engine, which is one of the reason I went for a TW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Usually it's the base gasket that leaks, not the head gasket. If yours is leaking at the head area, take a look at your valve covers/o-rings and make sure they are tight and sealing...oil can weep out of those and travel down your head/cylinder and make it look like a different leak.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thank you for correcting me pmtg. It's the base gasket that is leaking, of course. English isn't my first language, so I sometimes mix terms or words.

If you replace that base gasket, make sure you get a metal one, not another paper gasket.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Don't worry kj7687. I've red the DIY thread many times since I bought the bike (at least 4-5 times) in order to help me to accept the fact that I'll have to remove the head and cylinder of an almost new TW.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    This is a good time to add a Wiseco piston and see how the motor is wearing.

Ronnydog

Is there any benefit to the Wiseco piston instead of re-using the stocker?

Quote Originally Posted by RingSteel View Post
    Is there any benefit to the Wiseco piston instead of re-using the stocker?

Higher compression, more power, premium fuel.

Retorquing isn't "1/16 turn". Retorquing is using a torque wrench, slightly loosening the bolts, then retightening to proper maximum torque, in the proper sequence described in the manual.

If you want to take a chance of adding to your frustration try some of this stuff:

After spraying it on 3 or 4 times without success it started to accumulate. When the engine was warm the stuff was kind of soft and gooey so I pressed it on to the junction of the cylinder and case. This greatly reduced the amount of leakage. On a long ride now, about 100 miles or more, it only leaks a couple of drops which is just enough to put off changing the gasket until next winter. Good luck!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links