What front tire to use for 50/50 on/off road use?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What front tire to use for 50/50 on/off road use?

When I purchased the bike a couple of years ago, it had the early knobby tires on it, but I replaced the rear one last year with the one (I don't recall, off hand, what all of the Bridgestone TW3x #'s are) that superseded the original knobby, which is not available anymore. I am really happy with it, as it is MUCH more roadable than the original one that it had replaced, but is still great for off-road use. Now it is time to replace the front one. But this is my dilemma: The last time I checked, I could not find a more roadable Bridgestone replacement for the front knobby. Did Bridgestone make a replacement tire (more roadable tread) for the original front knobby? If so, what is the # for it? I know that there are "street" tires available for both front and rear, but since I do a lot of off-road riding, I am NOT interested in those.

If no updated front tire is available from Bridgestone, I need to come up with something suitable, as I am sick of the zinging sound that the original front knobby makes, when driven on pavement - plus it seems to wear down fast

(and in a saw-tooth fashion) when driven on pavement, when there is a lot of stopping required. I know that since the front tire size is 130x18, there are many more options than one would have for the odd-sized rear one. Any suggestions on what to go with on the front, considering that my riding is basically 50/50 on/off road?

BTW, I am NOT a new user on this forum. For some reason, I was unable to log in under my former user name (the-wild-man), and I was not able to use my email address to check if my password was correct, so I had to re-register as new user.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    BTW, I am NOT a new user on this forum. For some reason, I was unable to log in under my former user name (the-wild-man), and I was not able to use my email address to check if my password was correct, so I had to re-register as new user.

Welcome back!

You obviously weren't around for teh big server upgrade.

New software, new buttons to play with, and yeah... everyone had to start over as a newbie.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Yes buddy....! Me 2

Kusal - Sri Lanka

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    Welcome back!

You obviously weren't around for teh big server upgrade.

New software, new buttons to play with, and yeah... everyone had to start over as a newbie.

Yea, I'm now picking up on the fact that something happened around the middle of july, as there are NO users who have been around longer than that.

Nobody has any suggestions for a front tire?

I have the Maxxis 6006 in 130/80-18 and I love it. My Dad has the Dunlop 606 in 120/90-18 and he loves his. These are much more aggressive than the original knobby. So you want a tire thats between the stock front knobby and the street tire?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I have the Maxxis 6006 in 130/80-18 and I love it.

I can recommend Maxxis 6006 too, great tire!
    1995 TW200G Hidden Content M6006 130/80-18 & Ceros 26x9.00R14, Hidden Content #89 cam, Hidden Content exhaust, Front disc brake, 130 mm Rear drum, Round headlight

Quote Originally Posted by TeeWee View Post
    I can recommend Maxxis 6006 too, great tire!

Some people like to run the same brand on both ends. There are several Bridgestone TrailWings in sizes that will fit (130/80, 120/90, 4.60, and 5.10) that might suit your purpose.

you can find them here: http://www.tiresunlimited.com/all%20...trail_wing.htm

For a new front tire i went with a Michelin T63 rear tire and ran it backwards on the front of my tdub. It is speed rated at over 100mph [more than the tdub will ever do].I have had it on for about a year now and it rides nice and seems less noisy than the stock tire was on the hwy, and much improved traction off road than the stock.

I checked on www.motorcycle-superstore.com it has good reviews (4.4 stars out of 5). Here's the link: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=19852 and shipping only 7 bucks? mmm...I need to scrape my front tire first so I can get it
    Skwneer likes this.
    - RIDE -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links