carb dripping gas?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: carb dripping gas?

When riding (after dumping the bike in a wash out)i noticed there was gas dripping out of the bottom nipple of the carb. Once i started the bike it would stop. I turn the bike off again when we took a break and i noticed it dripping again. Is there supposed to be a hose on there? Is this an overflow? could a valve be stuck open?

There should be a hose on there. Your float is probably stuck.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

How would one unstick the float?

Does the hose just drain to the ground?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can try to unstick the float by LIGHTLY tapping on the float bowl. That might dislodge the float and have it working again. If that does not work, you'll have to take off the float bowl. You should be able to take off the bowl while the carb is on the bike (I found it easier to remove the carb from the bike, buts that just me). There is a sticky on how the carb comes apart in the technical section.

Yes, the hose drains to the ground. Nothing is going to break if you don't have the hose, it just keeps fuel from dripping onto a hot motor. I used old fuel line and its been there for a while.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

So could i just take the float bowl off the bottom of the carb while it is on the bike?

Will i have to replace any gaskets when doing so?

Yes. And you shouldnt have to replace the gasket but if you want to, go to an auto parts store and buy some gasket material. It is like $6 and very easy to cut out. It comes in handy.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Be very careful with the tiny screws that hold the float bowl on as they are not a phillips head, rather they are a JIS thread. A phillips will work, but be careful. I replaced mine with some allen heads. Longer allen head bolts will work (if you can't find the exact length) because the holes they go into are drilled all the way through (at least thats how it is on my '90).

You should be able to loosen your throttle cables (loosen one nut only on each cable so you can reattach and have the same throttle position), loosen each clamp that holds your inlet and outlet large rubber hose things, and spin the carb towards you. That should give you a better view of the carb.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

So i took of the tank, spun the carb to the side, took off the float bowl. gave it all a good spray with carb clean, the float/pin moves freely up and down, gave it a wipe with quetips, and put it back togeather. Bike started up fine let it idle for a few min turned it off and all looked good. about a minute after being off it started to leak gas again. The float was not stuck, it moved freely. i gave it a good spray/clean.. why is the overflow still dripping gas?

what else can i do to tryand fix this.

I was just looked at my Carb. I'm assuming your not talking about your drain hose outlet. If it is coming from overflow nipple then you must have debris on needle valve seat. Turn petcock off. Loosen drain screw a few turns to completely drain carb. Turn petcock on and tap on Carb. Maybe that will flush it out. Repeat a few times.
    Ringneck likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

another method is starting the bike then turn off the petcock. rev it up a bit and when the motorcycle acts like it is going to die turn the petcock back on. If you're lucky AND there is indeed something stuck in the float this could possibly release it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links