The black carby
Close

Thread: The black carby

Hi All

I have a very strange carb problem with my 99 AG200, I just bought it and noticed black smoke when I rev it, it seems to run fine but I thought I better pull the carb apart and see whats going on in there.

anyway on the air box side the throat was so black that it actually looked like the inside was painted black and when I rubbed it with my finger it felt like a painted surface? any way as soon as the carby cleaner hit it the black stuff it dissolved, it wasnt nearly as black on the engine side of the carb? very strange?

so I rebuilt it and it seems to be running fine but still blowing black smoke with a black spark plug, any tips on leaning it out a bit or why it is black on the airbox side?

also allot of grit and blackness down the intake port, I have a feeling that valve isnt sealing?

cheers

Rob

ok, I sorted out the rich mixture, previous owner put so much oil on the air filter it wouldn't let air through!!!! now I'm thinking this might be related to the black carby?

Could be. Did the black smoke go away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A stuck float will overfill the crankcase with gas/oil mixture when the bike is parked overnight which will in turn fill the airbox via the crankcase vent upon startup.

It's possible that this occurred at some point in the bike's life and the airbox wasn't cleaned out afterward. Engine heat and time hardened the deposits.

One possible explanation. Just make sure it isn't still going on. Your "over-oiled" air cleaner and black smoke are strong indicators.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Benson View Post
    Could be. Did the black smoke go away?

yeah mate, she runs clean now, a lil lean if anything I need to get a new carb joint, they are $69 bucks here in Australia and the o-ring is a whopping $18!!!!! we get stitched up over here.

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    A stuck float will overfill the crankcase with gas/oil mixture when the bike is parked overnight which will in turn fill the airbox via the crankcase vent upon startup.

It's possible that this occurred at some point in the bike's life and the airbox wasn't cleaned out afterward. Engine heat and time hardened the deposits.

One possible explanation. Just make sure it isn't still going on. Your "over-oiled" air cleaner and black smoke are strong indicators.

wow,great point you make here,one I didn't consider,

when I pulled the carb apart the bowl had allot of dirt in it so this is looking fairly likely.

thanks for your input, much appreciated

Rob

Sponosred Links