42 tooth rear sproket
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm looking at putting a 42 tooth rear sproket on my 03. Currently I'm running a stock 50. I can get to 50/60 but with a lot of whinning. Wanting to read facts from those that have tried or use this setup?

Thanks

Depends on what you plan to ride. I went to a 52 tooth. But I ride more off road. My bike came with a 45 and I didn't like it for off road riding in my area.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

This fellow (Craigerk) seems real happy: "I ride street only only, going to work, in reign, leisurely, didn't think about throwing in there what I ride. If its not street its just going down a rail road bed that's in the same direction for a change of scenery. I have a 14/42 set up with a DG pipe, cone filter and stock jetting. I didn't get it new its an 05. But when I got it the only thing the guy had changed was the rear sprocket to a 47 but I wanted more top end so I swapped. Joke that helps and clarify. glad you don't want proof cause like I said i'm not good at doing wheelies and a big guy doing a wheely on a small Ish bike doesn't even look good ha ha "

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...-with-my-1447/
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Have you used the speed/sprocket calculator ?

http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm

It shows that with the 42T you could easily cruise at 55-60, in 4th gear.

I'm happy with the 14/44 set up. My primary purpose is daily street:trail 90%:10%. I'd guess that if you are doing street riding and have relatively flat land, you will be happy.

dan

Thanks you'll, I appreciate the insight. Will give it a lash and let you know how these hills and graveled roads do with the 14/42 setup.

Larry

Personally, dropping all the way down to a 42 would not be your best choice... You indicate that you like to do some trails. To me, a 42 will impact you off-road a lot. Seems what in effect you are doing is pretty much giving up your 5 gear and as well making your 1st almost a pavement only gear. If you use the gear calculator you will see that a 45 will still give you an ok rpm in 4th for that 60mph. As well, your first gear will be a bit more capable in the dirt than with the 42. Those smaller rear sprockets did not work for me as I don't do much high speed travel.

I'm not into selling stuff, but my try with a 45 did not last more than a couple of hundred miles. I will sell you the 45 tooth sprocket hanging from my rafter for $10 plus shipping. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

I agree with Gerry. I run a 47 but I do alot of trail riding. Go with a 45. When I got my bike it came with a box of extra parts. a 45 tooth sprocket and chain was in it. Maybe PO tried it and didn't like it.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Well I'll take you up on that offer. I put the 42 on today and rode several miles. THERE IS NO GRUNT!!!! Top end is fine but I'm too old to be too concerned about being first. Tell me where you want me to send the $10.00. I've got this weekend and next to ride then I get my left knee replaced. I understand I'll be out a day or two they say?

Thanks for the help you'll.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Well I'll take you up on that offer. I put the 42 on today and rode several miles. THERE IS NO GRUNT!!!! Top end is fine but I'm too old to be too concerned about being first. Tell me where you want me to send the $10.00. I've got this weekend and next to ride then I get my left knee replaced. I understand I'll be out a day or two they say?

Thanks for the help you'll.

Larry

Look at you all talking to folks on the Forum! Figured Hell would freeze over before you quit lurking about in bushes! Proud of you! Looking forward to this weekend!
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links