Broken kickstand stud
Close

I'm a brand new member with a problem with my '03 tw. I've had it about 3 months. About a week ago while riding in town, my kickstand started dragging. I discovered that the little stud just above the kickstand bolt (where the little lever that holds the spring attaches) had broken off. Just the end of it. The stud is part of the frame (welded I think) and isn't a replaceable part. Should I go to a machine shop and have something welded to it or will this destroy the electronic ignition? Has anyone had this problem but me? Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Assuming it's only the little stop that has sawn itself off, I'd try putting few threads on the stub (just enough to get a thin nut on it).

Then I'd either weld or braze the nut permanently.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I hadn't thought of that- it might work, but where could i find a nut small enough? It has to be small enough to let the little side stand link slip over it. I thought about cutting the stud off flush with the frame, drilling out the hole and using a bolt with the head ground down to the right size. I just hate to booger up the frame like that if i can find a better/easier way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cut the end of the stud flat, drill and tap, insert a machine screw with a head big enough to keep the spring from sliding off.

A small (~1/8") hole at or just above the stud location and slip the end of the spring inside of it? The tension should keep it placed and as the side stand goes through its motion the spring end should rotate within the hole. Just a thought without having a spring in from of me to take a look at. At least a quick fix if you needed time to access a welder.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I like the idea of drilling and tapping the stud. Hopefully I can find a machine screw with the right head. Thanks! PS, I love this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhunter View Post
    I like the idea of drilling and tapping the stud. Hopefully I can find a machine screw with the right head. Thanks! PS, I love this forum!

Success! I drilled the stud with a 1/8" bit about 3/4" deep, tapped the hole with a 8-32 tap ($3.99 at Tractor Supply) and used a 1/2" stainless steel machine screw (oval head phillips, $1.18 at Lowe's for a package of 5). The stud is made of fairly mild steel so drilling and tapping was pretty easy. Hopefully the screw will stay put and not back itself out. If it does I might have to put a drop of Loctite on it the next time. Thanks to qwerty for the idea! I love this forum!

Sponosred Links