Tough Cold Starting
Close

I have a 2011 TW200 with about 250 miles on it, and from the time the odo had 0 miles on it I've had to give it a little gas while pushing the start button to get it going.

The ambient temperature has been between 70f and 105f while this has been going on (morning vs afternoon in Tucson, AZ)

Once the bike is warm it'll start right back up after I stall it out like the newbie that I am, but the factory recommended 10 second max on the starter button can't seem to get the cold engine going at any choke setting without a little help from the throttle.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with either the bike or how I'm trying to start it?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Always start a TW in neutral....not just pulling the clutch in....put the bike in neutral. Next try adjusting the pilot screw 2 1/2 turns out. Read all the sticky threads in this section look at the carb photos for guidance. I think this will take care of your problem. Anyone else have anything?
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

My bike does the same thing. The bike will start up immediately when twisting the throttle and pushing the starter. I have been playing with the pilot screw to try to fix it. I have a 130 main and .05 shimmed needle but this should not effect starting. Opening the pilot screw too much creates surges while too little cause lean popping. I guess I still have not found that sweet spot after 3500 miles.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

mine does the same thing and it is new, only 800 miles on it. I thought I'd leave it alone until the 1 year warranty is done and then rejet.

dan

Rejetting will not void your warranty. I called the company to make sure seeing how I have the 5 year warranty.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Hmmm? Carbs mix by volume, and lower air density results in richer mixtures. Higher temperatures are usually associated with high pressure areas, and barometric pressure has a much greater effect on air:fuel ratio than temperaure does. It is not unusual to jet a carb richer when it is hotter due to the increased barometric pressure associated with the normal cycles of frontal weather patterns. Jetting rich for hotter temps is sometimes necessary to lower engine temps, but that's a whole 'nuther nutter butter. YMMV, which is why it is best to tune by the butt dyno than any other method. That always works. Fact of the matter is a properly jetted TW carb will run fine at any temperature freezing or above with no adjustment. Change altitude, and all bets are off.

Since the bike was running fine before you dorked with it, and the onset of problems was the first start after you dorked, I'd guess you dorked the carb or some associated component. The chances of a coincidental electrical problem causing the problematic starting are pretty darn lottery-winning slim. No way a 130 main will cause the problems you describe, even at 11,000 feet of altitude. Something else is wrong.

If the plug is rich, it's rich. Up to you to figure out from where the fuel is coming.

Sponosred Links