Clutch won't disengage
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey guys,

I moved across the country today, and had my bike transported here. When it arrived, I discovered the clutch would not disengage at all. It's my only transport at the moment, so I really need to fix it urgently! Here are the details:

1) If I start it in neutral, pull the clutch in and change to first, the bike lurches forward and dies.

2) The clutch lever is fine

3) The adjustments, tension and cable are fine

4) It's pulling that arm piece above the crankcase exactly how it used to

5) Sometimes it feels like I've reached the top gear, but then if I roll the bike a bit, I can shift higher or lower again.

6) I was riding it for hours since two days ago, so it hasn't been standing

7) I tried the trick of putting it in 5th and rolling back and forth, but it didn't do anything

8) It's got a new litre of Castrol GTX 20W-50 which I've been using the whole time without a problem

9) I can kickstart it

10) I can see amazing mountain trails from my house, and can't ride them

I took the crankcase off today to see if I could see anything inside, but after I had it off, I didn't have a clue what to do next:/

If anyone can help, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Please let me know if I can provide any other info or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Guit4eva View Post
    Hey guys,

I moved across the country today, and had my bike transported here. When it arrived, I discovered the clutch would not disengage at all. It's my only transport at the moment, so I really need to fix it urgently! Here are the details:

1) If I start it in neutral, pull the clutch in and change to first, the bike lurches forward and dies.

2) The clutch lever is fine

3) The adjustments, tension and cable are fine

4) It's pulling that arm piece above the crankcase exactly how it used to

5) Sometimes it feels like I've reached the top gear, but then if I roll the bike a bit, I can shift higher or lower again.

6) I was riding it for hours since two days ago, so it hasn't been standing

7) I tried the trick of putting it in 5th and rolling back and forth, but it didn't do anything

8) It's got a new litre of Castrol GTX 20W-50 which I've been using the whole time without a problem

9) I can kickstart it

10) I can see amazing mountain trails from my house, and can't ride them

I took the crankcase off today to see if I could see anything inside, but after I had it off, I didn't have a clue what to do next:/

If anyone can help, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Please let me know if I can provide any other info or whatever.

Is the spring still in place on the arm of the clutch or did the spring come off during transport?

Quote Originally Posted by TWBARR View Post
    Is the spring still in place on the arm of the clutch or did the spring come off during transport?
    The spring is still in place. Everything is exactly the same, just not disengaging anymore

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes the clutch plates will stick together but usually that happens after the bike sits for awhile.I had an XL250 years ago that used to do that and every spring they would stick.I used to push start it in gear and run it through the gears until it freed up.Didn't take long.

Is the Castrol GTX motorcycle specific oil?
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

If the bike was good before it was transported, file a claim immediately with the carrier. Transporting should not cause the clutch to not disengage.

Take a peak under the rubber dust cover where the cable meets the lever perch and make sure the outer cover is still in the knurled adjuster. Very possible that during transport, loading, or unloading, the bike fell or nearly fell and was lifted or caught by the clutch cable, pulling the cable outer from its place in the adjuster. Such a forcefull pull could easily damage something inside the cases. With the right side cover off, pull the lever and watch the pressure plate to see if it moves when you squeeze the lever. If not, I expect the push lever assembly or something in the push rod mechanisms is broken inside the crankcase halves. Splitting cases to effect repair is very labor intensive and can be a very expensive fix.

Castrol GTX is not JASO MA certified and is probably not appropriate for use with wet clutches. Fact is, GTX killed Tdub's original clutch.

Also, Castrol is owned by BP, which supports terroism (advocated for the release of the Lockerbie bomber) for it's bottom line gain, if things like that matter to you.

Thanks for the advice. Flip, I'm going to be so bleak if that's actually what happened. I'm never having it transported again! Is there anything I must watch for when removing the right side cover?

Easy on the bolts, they're easy to strip. I'd try letting it get good and warm once then try shifting into gear a few times before I tore it down.

Mine does that at times, but think its the clutch adjusting nut in the middle of the clutch basket, under that cover that needs adjusted. I'm waiting for a gasket to tear into mine.

I'd think a lighter oil would slip better, but I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by gfl View Post
    Easy on the bolts, they're easy to strip. I'd try letting it get good and warm once then try shifting into gear a few times before I tore it down.

Mine does that at times, but think its the clutch adjusting nut in the middle of the clutch basket, under that cover that needs adjusted. I'm waiting for a gasket to tear into mine.

I'd think a lighter oil would slip better, but I'm no expert.
    Before you do anything else either warm up the bike really good or change that oil to a lighter weight. My bike did a similar thing with with 20 -50 until it was warmed up.

Yes inspect all cable stuff but sounds like you have

Half a can of seafoam in the crankcase

Warm it up then work the clutch full range like 20 times

Change oil to some real oil 10 something 10-40

Wallyworld sell both seafoam and real MC oil here in CT

If case is off still then you should see movement when clutch lever is moved

Did you notice the mileage on the Odometer before and after the move?

Unfortunately I didn't check the mileage, I had the key though. I took the right cover off (3 hours later due to a stripped bolt, gfl wasn't kidding). Everything looks good, gears are prime, clutch plates are moving when I pull in the clutch lever, nothing suspect. I'm so confused now. If I push the bike forward in 1st, whether on or off, lever in or out, it's still like pushing it into a wall. I might have to take it into the dealer on Monday. Goodbye savings I REALLY wish I could fix it myself' but I'm scared I just cause more damge, cause I really can't see anything wrong. I'm really confused by this:/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links