Need Help
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need Help

I was out with a friend last week riding in the Bender Creek area of Idaho and had a little mishap. We were on our way back to the loading area after a fun, scenic adventure when I didn't stay tuned to the task at hand and had an opps.

I had just come around a banked corner on the trail and came upon a little bridge crossing a stream. My front tire slid up to the side of the rail of the bridge and me and my bike fell over on to the right side about 4 feet below the surface of the bridge.

There were willows enough to prevent me from hitting the rocks and creek below. My right leg was pinned under the bike and the engine was winding up. I had a bit of difficulty reaching the kill switch. I extracated myself, looked at the situation and decided that my friend Larry would be back soon and I needed the help getting my bike out. Thanks to his help, we salvaged the bike.

When we got it upright and partly out of the terrible place I had chosen to park it, I started it and inmediately notice a very loud noise from what I think was the top end. When I tried to go, the bike just had no power. I had to ride in 1st gear for a while to clear it out a bit. Eventually I was able to use 2nd gear and even 3rd gear where applicable but there still seemed to be much less power than before I missed bridge.

Now a couple of days later when I start it, there is still noise from the top end that was not there prior to the incident.

Can any of you real experts (and I say this with respect) suggest what the issue might be.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Can't help you with your motor noise/power loss issue but glad to see you're OK. That looks from the photo like a pretty good drop off.

have you pulled the plug? is there any obvious damage to either side of the case? i'm far from an expert just a shade tree mechanic one year away from an engineering degree

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ron, I assume you are 'ok'. Seems in life, we are more, or less able to handle different riding situations as the years go bye. Last week, I fell-over trying to make a sharp low speed U turn. Seems when it comes to turning, motorcycles like to be leaned. My nasty bruise suggests turning the bars to the extreme and twisting the throttle is not the best way to go.

I would say, take a very good look at the bike and let us know what points seemed to have made hard contact. Maybe if we know what hit 'hard' we can offer some guesses as to what you might be dealing with.

All things consider, I would say you are very lucky in not needing some medical attention.

Should oil have gotten from the crankcase into the filter/intake, I think this would impact your bikes performance after the fact. Take a look at the airfilter cavity to see if oil had moved into that location. Good luck. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Ron, I assume you are 'ok'. Seems in life, we are more, or less able to handle different riding situations as the years go bye. Last week, I fell-over trying to make a sharp low speed U turn. Seems when it comes to turning, motorcycles like to be leaned. My nasty bruise suggests turning the bars to the extreme and twisting the throttle is not the best way to go.

I would say, take a very good look at the bike and let us know what points seemed to have made hard contact. Maybe if we know what hit 'hard' we can offer some guesses as to what you might be dealing with.

All things consider, I would say you are very lucky in not needing some medical attention.

Should oil have gotten from the crankcase into the filter/intake, I think this would impact your bikes performance after the fact. Take a look at the airfilter cavity to see if oil had moved into that location. Good luck. Gerry

Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words. When I landed, the willows cushioned my landing so much that there was relatively no impact on my body; kind of like mosh pit surfing. I and the bike were suspended over the creek and some really big granite boulders as can be seen in the photo. Being almost 69, I seem to heal a little slower than in my previous life. When the descent stopped I was pleased that my chest/back protecter had prevented a less fun experience. I and the TW were weaved into the brush patch.

The bike did continue to run for several seconds in an inverted position. So there could be oil in the aircleaner box. My leg was kind of trapped and I had trouble reaching the kill-switch. When I finally got it shut down, I did a quick assessment of the situation and deduced that I was "Lewis Blacked" for sure.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Glad you're OK, Ron. The bike can be fixed. I'm not an expert, but I would suspect oil got into the cylinder and it hydro-locked. May have bent the rod. Let's hope it's not that serious. I'll be interested to hear what else the experts have to say.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Ron,

Glad to hear that your ok. Don't beat yourself up over this, your one of my mentors, I sure hope to be riding when I'm your age. I love reading your ride reports and we need to get this thing back in shape and you back out there !!

It's hard to diagnose an issue via the net. On a recent ride on one of my Harleys I thought I had bent a pushrod, but it turned out to only be a lazy plug. I found it by running the bike at simalar rpm to traveling down the road and toughing different areas of the engine with a finger tip. It let me isolate the vibration to the front cylinder.

I know, I know, TW's a single, but you could still do the same thing checking for vibration/heat and compare it to a riding buddies TW.\

I like to start a diagnosis with an hour of so spent going over the whole bike and checking for lose/bent/missing bolts/screws etc. Kinda gets me focused and quite often I get a hint (or even find) of the issue.

Thanks for wearing the right gear, and good luck in repairing the bike. Please let us know what you find!

Bag
    "The TW may be slow, but the Earth is patient" - MK

"If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums." LB

Hidden Content

Sorry Ron, I didn't mean to be negative. Bagger is right. It's obvious how much you enjoy your TW, and we enjoy riding along with you. So, since we haven't heard more from the experts let me ask, does your camera have video capability? If so, could you take some video of the bike running and post it up so we can hear the sound and get a better idea of what it may be? Do you have a compression tester and know how to use it? A compression test is very easy to accomplish and may give us some indication of the health of your engine's internals. What do you think?
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

A compression check is definately in order. My thought is that while it was upside down oli from the crankcase seeped past the rings into the combustion chamber and that is what caused the loud noise. Did it smoke a lot when you started it? If there was not a lot of smoke then oil leaking past was not the problem.

Gee Ron, Glad you are OK, In the words of a 69 year old guy I went on a couple of rides with: Whats the worst that could happen? "You could totally %*#@ it up!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links