Just found this in my Carb
Close

I just found this gasket covered in corrosion at the float bowl. The float bowl area itself was immaculate. It looked brand new inside, what I am wondering is if this gasket could be the cause of the inconsistency I have seen in the way my engine runs.

Or should I keep looking at the carb (I ask this because I can't seem to get the float off.)

The corrosion covers all sides.
    -Szj

2001 TW

I'd keep digging. If it wasn't leaking gas then I'd say the gasket isn't your issue.

Be sure to follow the manual / and the supplement's guidance as to dis-assembly. The pins that hold the float mechanism in place is pretty fragile and will easily break the carb body if not handled properly. Down load the manual and supplement. Print them if necessary. Get the carb working in stock form before you start "improving it". Lot's of pinned instructions with PICTURES on carb work, so read and head the advice.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Something that has always worked for me to get that pin out is automatic center punch. You can buy one at harbor freight for 3 bucks right now. Just make sure you are pushing the pin out the right direction.

http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-...punch-621.html

Yeah, the pin on this carb seems to come out one way much easier than the other. And definitely be gentle to avoid breaking the posts. I use a tiny allen wrench and just push through.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
    ...(I ask this because I can't seem to get the float off.)
    This might help you remove the float:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...buretor-float/

I would replace the gasket even if it wasn't leaking. It may not seal when you reassemble the carb.

The gasket should look like this. Make sure the flat side with the ridge is facing up,

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I dont think thats corrosion on the gasket, its more likly a mixture of varnish and the crap that precipitates out of todays gas and it was probably keeping the bowl from leaking.

If you decide to do a carb dip be aware there is a rubber seal on the controle arm end of the butterfly shaft and a plastic bushing on the other plugged end that will need to be removed before dipping or they will be destroyed, these parts are not shown on any of the parts diagrams I,ve seen.

Robert

Check your carb vent tubes.

I've seen two TW200's have issues because of this:

My buddie's had a plugged tube and caused it to start leaking fuel out of the carb.

Mine just recently had a plugged tube and started starving it on medium to heavy throttle, causing erratic popping and surging. Easy check. And since our bikes are low, mud and debris can easilly plug the vent tubes since they hang down by the swing arm...
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Sponosred Links