click on trying to start!
Close

well I got my exhaust fixed!

but now a new problem... ( actually it happened after trying to fix my carb problem )

on trying to start I just get a click...

i think its from the starter relay as opposed to the starting circuit CK relay... ( the starter relay is the larger one with the fuses right? ) and the starter circuit relay gets a bit warm to the touch- its about the size of a flasher relay? )

I by passed all of those relays and put a jumper to the starter motor...

the connector is pretty corroded!

at first It didnt turn... ( i sprayed it with contact cleaner... and scraped it a bit )

then it turned altho very weakly and reluctantly

battery is showing 13.4 volts and is only 2 months old... even after turnign the starter with the jumper lead it didnt go down much... ( 12.94 volts )

( I charged the battery before I tried this as well )

I have a multimeter, and want to test the relays..

but not sure how?

some pictures for dummies would be good!
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Have you taken your starter apart recently? You may want to take it out and make sure it turns freely. If not, it is rubbing the magnets and is easy fix.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Did you check your ground connections at the battery & the frame? Can be that simple! easy to rule out.

Also you should take off the positive wire at the starter, & with a friends help, put the positive lead of your multi-meeter on the wire, and the negative lead onto a good ground on the bike, & have your friend push the starter button. See if you get the battery voltage.

If you already did this, please forgive me for bringing it up. m.
    1997 TW with some modsHidden Content Pike'n the Boont region since 1989!

Have a Bahl Dee! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

nope haven't done any of that!

I think removing the starter will be a royal PIA tho..

the screw (?) ( I question that as what ever is holding that connector is corroded beyond recognition! ) will be very hard to remove..

will take a look over the w/e

( a friend Nerk - said he might have time to pop by - so simply swopping a few components night shed some clues! )

thanks for the suggestions!!

cheers!

mart

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

EEEHHH!! Yeah, I hate rusty fasteners! My best advise, is to VERY carefully see if you can remove that rusted nut that holds the wire to the starter motor. A good penetrating oil (better than WD-40) is advised.

FIRST, for safety's sake, please disconnect the negative wire at the battery. This will avoid any unwanted mishaps!! Now spray penetrating oil on the nut, & scrub it with a small steel bristle wire brush.

When it's looking a bit cleaner, spray more penetrating oil on the nut & let it sit for a beer or so...

If there is enough of a nut still there to get a SIX point socket or SIX point end wrench onto it, carefully & gently try working the nut back & forth, & see if it comes loose. DON'T FORCE IT!!

If it does not budge, get the help of a friend who has done this before. It may come down to the use of vise grips, or even more aggressive tools. If ultimately the whole post breaks clean off, don't kick yourself. Sometimes things get too rusty to do any good.

ONE OTHER THING YOU SHOULD TRY FIRST, BEFORE YOU GO AFTER THAT NUT, is to clean the nut with the wire brush, re-connect the negative wire at the battery, and put your multi-meeter on DC volts. Now with a friends help, put the bike in neutral, turn on the ignition, put the positive lead of the multi-meeter on the nut you just cleaned, and the negative lead on a good ground. push the starter button ONLY for a second or two, and if you see any voltage (even close to battery voltage) show up on the multi-meter, then you can be reasonably sure that the relays are working, and the problem is at your starter.

Hope any of this helps, m.

thanks for your tips - will get the mulitmeter on it,,,

i was thinking about the old angle grind/ hack saw a groove into the remains... then can get a flat head in there...

havent disconnected the starter motor before..

you think I can get it out with the wire still attached..

typically I got swamped with late deliveries from my clients so have spent the whole w/e working so far..

tuesday is a possibility for tackling this...

Have you cleaned the connections at the battery? I see that you used a jumper at one point but where did you attach the Jumper was it past what could be a corroded connection. Also just because your battery shows 13.5 volts does not mean it is good. it may not have that voltage under load. The click sounds very much like a corroded connection or a bad battery. you need to test that battery under load.

2nd that. m.

solved!

was the starter relay..

actually I learnt a new trick!

if you take the rubber boots of the "high voltage" wires - you can use a pair of pliers to bypass the relay..

ie short accross!

and the starter turns! whooo!

this was the clue that the relay needed replacing!

the reason my starter was turning weakly was becos the contact was corroded to hell!

Sponosred Links