tappin/ticking at idle
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: tappin/ticking at idle

tappin/ticking at idle

So ive gotten a new to me 700 mile tw200, 2002. Ive got a ticking/tapping at idle only when warm, checked valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner, no metal in the oil, correct oil filter, oil coming from the check plugs. Its a sort of intermittant tick tick tick, then a few cycles of no ticking, then tick tick tick. ive found some similar posts, some saying its normal, some saying its not, but no solutions. Cant post links to posts right now due to post count but if the mods agree to it ill post and break up the url's.
    heard many tw's with a lot more miles than mine not making this noise, so anyone who has had it and found a cause, some help would be appreciated! thanks
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the forum!!

Go ahead and try to post pics. It may work. It is kind of normal for them to be a little rattly. You may try adjusting the air/fuel mixture out to 2 or 2 1/2 turns, that should help. They come very lean from the factory and run better when you do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyno241 View Post
    So ive gotten a new to me 700 mile tw200, 2002. Ive got a ticking/tapping at idle only when warm, checked valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner, no metal in the oil, correct oil filter, oil coming from the check plugs. Its a sort of intermittant tick tick tick, then a few cycles of no ticking, then tick tick tick. ive found some similar posts, some saying its normal, some saying its not, but no solutions. Cant post links to posts right now due to post count but if the mods agree to it ill post and break up the url's.
    heard many tw's with a lot more miles than mine not making this noise, so anyone who has had it and found a cause, some help would be appreciated! thanks
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Welcome to TW200 ownership. I'm going to assume you've got the same noise that I did/do. Start it cold, let it warm up, then all of a sudden a new noise comes in like you flipped a switch...sounds way louder and 'sharper' than normal valve tick, and it's not consistent on each cycle..will do it a couple times, then not, then 4-5 times, then nothing for a few cycles.... Almost sounds like detonation..like a 'sharp' noise.
    I adjusted my valves a bunch of times, can't get rid of it. Drove me nuts until I really did some digging. I ended up finding quite a few people that have it, but also a lot that don't.
    I personally thing it's the exhaust valve, and the lower you adjust your idle, the worse it gets. If you can endure the idle speed being set to what 'feels' too high, it'll go away completely. Also, stopping in traffic on a HOT day, it seems to be worse.
    That's what makes me think it has to do with the low oil pressure these things have going to the top end. Also, when I change my oil, I unscrew the check plug until it's loose and wait for the flood of oil....and wait...and wait....then finally it drools out, but not 1/10 of what I'd expect. Some folks say that's the way theirs acts, others seem to feel that there's a lot of oil at their check plug.
    I saw one person put an oil pressure warning light on their TW and they said at highway speed it didn;t have enough pressure at the plug to even trip the 3 psi switch.

Mine (2015)had around 2500km on it when I bought it from a little old man. It was spotless and maintained (dealer) as recommended, so I have no reason to think it was abused or anything. I drove myself nuts, then finally gave up and accepted that they're noisy little engines and if there's clean oil and the right filter, just drive the damn thing. I put over 4000kms on my in the year I've owned it and the noise isn't any better or worse.

My thread went 6-pages long and people talked about their noises but if memory serves, nobody actually said, "YES, that's the exact same thing mine does..."

This video is the best example I've found, and this Yamaha tech at a small dealer had a customer bring TWO in for their first valve adjustment, and after he did the work, they BOTH have the noise. Thing is, maybe they had it before, but he wouldn't know unless he started them, let them warm up completely and listened before he did any work. Since the valve adjustment has to be done cold, I'd think he likely made a point NOT to start them before he did any work. Now after the service, the noise is there. I actually contacted the dealer via FaceBook and they checked with the tech to see how it turned out. He checked and doublechecked the valve adjustment, and gave them back to the customer. He never heard anything back, so the feeling is that they did that from day one. Small dealer, not likely that a LOT of TWs go through their doors....

The 2nd TW starts doing it at the 5:55 mark. I had asked on here, if the ignition timing or something changes as the engine warms up because mine chugs along until a certain specific time, then the idle drops a bit and there's the noise. The answers I got said no, it didn't. And there are guys on here that know stuff like that. I just noticed that just before the TW above starts it, the idle also drops. There's SOMETHING that happens at that magical point that causes that noise to start and the idle speed to change (a lot).

And when I said, 'Welcome to TW200 ownership.", that didn't imply it's a bad thing. I had an awesome run on mine yesterday and kept telling myself that there were very few bikes that could navigate the variety of conditions that I rode yesterday, and do it without causing a noob like me to crash. Feet down, paddling through waterholes up past my knees, washed out gravel trails, miles of rocky trails, dirt roads, back roads, and then some highway to get home.
    The valves tick, the clutch is funky, the forks clunk, the footpegs aren't even.....they're not going to go down in history as the absolutely best bike for this or that specific purpose, but man can they do just about everything pretty darned good.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 09-17-2017 at 05:53 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well the fact that no damage seems to come from it is encouraging! Do you notice any metal in the screen/filter on your oil changes? I'm wondering if there is a loss of oil pressure somewhere or maybe if replacing the oil pump would help. Most of these stories seem to end with people saying well I'll just live with it but I nevery get to hear if it ended up causing issues. Listening to "tdubskid"'s idling on YouTube after a lot of miles and his bike doesn't make the sound at all. So it keeps leading me to think SOMETHING has gotta be off.
    littletommy likes this.

Probably just a miscreant valve –could be that sometimes the cam will get enough oil to take up the slack – sometimes it won’t – these bikes aren’t the greatest for oil flow at idle

At 700 miles, it’s unlikely to be worn or misshapen, and you could go in after it every day for a week – but if you did get it to stop, then you’d be worried about whether you’d over-tightened something

Yamahas build tolerance on these bikes is nothing to write home about, and that’s what makes them so tough – and for this reason, they tend to “barf” up a bit of metal into the filter at first. This should settle down at around 1000 to 1200 miles, and it’ll be clean after that.

If you do get to replacing the oil pump – can I have it please (because there will be nothing wrong with it)

Ride the bike first and get to know the noises it makes – they’re all different in some way or another – and don’t panic when you get it up to speed and “on song” – if it doesn’t sound like “death metal” then you’re not doing it right

My point is, that at 700 miles, the bike is unlikely to have settled down yet – once it has settled down (1500), you can start experimenting with valve clearances and see if that improves it

(Welcome to the madhouse) …….
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Oh I definitely had the normal break in metal when I did it's FIRST oil change when I got it at 710 miles. But now being up around 830 miles it's ticking and no metal in the oil, just wondering if people with the same noise had seen any accelerated wear after putting some miles on their bikes. I guess stacked tolerances can lead to all the bikes having their own set of noises and personalities. Thanks for sharing your experience guys! Guess I'll just let it be and report back if there are any issues, thanks!
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Here's a shot from last month and it's first time out on the dirt.
    20170602_170143_1505665872472.jpg
    Last edited by dyno241; 09-17-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    littletommy likes this.

So is that the noise you're talking about? (What I'm describing, and the noise in the video)
    I've never had any growlies in the filter. A few small flakes but nothing out of the ordinary. And I've adjusted valves before....so I'm no stranger to it... And I've tried going at the center of the spec, and also at the top and bottom. Honestly, it seems a bit better if they're at the tight end. But the small amount it improves, it would take setting them way too tight to get rid of it.

If it wasn't getting enough oil to the top end, it wouldn't have gone 6000kms. But again...like you hear in the video the second the noise starts, SOMETHING changes...the idle speed drops and the noise starts immediately.

If you can get rid of it, more power to you... Mine hasn't changed at all in the 4000kms I put on it, so I'm at the point where I hear it but stopped caring. If a noise is normal, I'm fine with the noise. I was just worried that something was wrong and I'd rather be proactive and fix something small than ignore it and end up with a big problem. It took me a while but I'm finally at the point where I subscribe to the 'Just ride it.' ideology.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 09-17-2017 at 10:40 AM.

For sure sounds just like the second tw in the video, little inconsistant tick, which goes away as soon as you give it some throttle, good to hear you've had no noticable wear or metal showing from it. Coming from working at a dealer, i really do want to search out the solutions to these things and try to fix them, but sounds like I've got nothing to worry about.

if they would just put some roller rockers in these little engines there wouldn't be half the noises or valve adjustments
    Purple and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links