oil filter
Close

Thread: oil filter

For some reason, me and the search engine arn't getting along today?. Anyway,I was changing the engine oil and filter and noticed the filter I bought was different.It is a Yamaha filter,but the exterior "mesh" media is of a pletted(spelling)design....my original one was smooth on the outside?.I checked the part number, 5HO 13440 09,seems to be the correct one. I did see in other threads that some part numbers have a "00" after the 09 in the aforementioned part number....surely this would not make any difference?.The filter I used has the four slots with corresponding holes.I know this has been done over and over again,but, again the search engine hates me today....TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    For some reason, me and the search engine arn't getting along today?. Anyway,I was changing the engine oil and filter and noticed the filter I bought was different.It is a Yamaha filter,but the exterior "mesh" media is of a pletted(spelling)design....my original one was smooth on the outside?.I checked the part number, 5HO 13440 09,seems to be the correct one. I did see in other threads that some part numbers have a "00" after the 09 in the aforementioned part number....surely this would not make any difference?.The filter I used has the four slots with corresponding holes.I know this has been done over and over again,but, again the search engine hates me today....TIA.
    I wonder if the 00 means an update. The pleated design, all other dimensions being the same, should only give more surface area . Probably a good idea to double check with the dealer.

My 2006, purchased new, came with the smooth mesh filter.... When I purchased a new filter from a long standing motorcycle shop, it had the pleated mesh. As I had concerns with oil filters in general, I spoke to the owner. Duane indicated that he was indeed familiar with the mis-labeled oil filters, and as well indicated that the new filter I just purchased (pleated mesh) was a newer, upgraded offering. As I looked a bit puzzled, he indicated if I were not comfortable with his answer, I could ask the Yamaha rep. who was up to visit and barbecue with Duane and his Family. The shops been in Chico for many years, so I was comfortable with Duane's answer. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you gentleman!. I thought also that the pleated design was a "re-design" by Yamaha for better filtration,but, it is better to check with folks in the know than make a costly mistake!. All of the other aspects of the filter are the same..holes,slots,spring valve on the inside etc.. Thanks again!.

Yep! New pleated design is correct. If it's the brass mesh type, then It's cleanable too, so don't chuck it out on the next oil change. (As far as I know) If better brains differ, please correct me. m.

Yes,brass mesh pleated!..........I kept using the original one and cleaned it every oil change.This oil change however,I noticed the rubber thingy that goes towards the engine was coming disattached from the filter,so,bought a new filter(reason for original question).

Just mentioned the brass thing 'cause some of the new pleated filters are pleated paper. m.

I know,I was just acknowledging the brass portion of your response.

My 2011 came with the smooth filter. The replacement I bought was a Brass pleated one.

Delboy,hmmm,I guess Yamaha had alot of letover inventory of the smooth filters?.Oh,well at least the others are pleated!.

Sponosred Links