Solvent, kerosene
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Several places in the manual talk about cleaning things with "solvent." I'm new to engine maintenance. What kind of solvent are they talking about? (the more specific, the better, please.)

Also, regarding cleaning the chain with kerosene. I've never bought kerosene. Is there more than one kind? Where do you guys get it?

thanks

Mark
    Mark

2007 TW200

I've always went to my local AutoZone or Napa and bought a gallon of cleaning solvent. I dont remember what brand it is, but I think they're all basicly the same. As for kerosene I think there's only one kind, I go to my local Bi-mart and buy it in a 4 gallon bucket, I use it for cleaning parts and running my shop heater in the winter. I hope this helps.
    1999 TW200 Mods- Fishing rod holder, Tail bag, handlbar risers, and soon to be JimboSheild

No 2 diesel is basically the same as kerosene as far as cleaning. Kerosene and No 1 diesel are the same thing. Mixing a little ATF in with the diesel will also help for cleaning. ATF has a high detergent content
    2009 WR250R

2005 V-Strom

1993 Shadow 1100 with Ural sidecar

2008 H-D Ultra Classic

2009 Zuma 125

2004 Zuma 50

2000 WR400F

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I got a solvent tank a couple of Christmas's ago. When I asked about what to purchase, a couple of folks suggested 'Stoddard Solvent'. I went to a petroleum dealer and asked for Stoddard Solvent. They indicated it ran $8.00 a gallon. Since I asked Santa for a 15 gallon tank, I was shocked. I purchased 5 gallons and filled the tank with bricks to minimize the volumn. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

For removing oily grime and the sort, I like Citra Solv full strength. It's expensive but you don't need much. It rinses off with water and leaves you smelling like ...citrus. I've been using it for about 10 years now and all those petrol based cleaners are a thing of the past for me! I rebuilt a R60/2 BMW, a CX650C, the TW200 in my avatar, lots of other smaller projects and I've only used about a gallon in those ten years.
    If your only tool is a hammer

Everything looks like a nail

Thanks for all the great info, guys. Much appreciated.
    Mark

2007 TW200

I agree w/ everyone about using specific cleaners rather than solvent. I'm a chemist and work with many of the solvents you can buy at hardware stores (MEK, Toluene, Xylene, Naphtha, Acetone, etc). You don't want to use those on your bike as they are overkill. I usually stick with Simple Green, Purple Power, and sometimes good old WD-40. Worst case scenario, sometimes those strong solvents can be helpful getting the really tough stuff off (like old chain lube grime on the swing arm).

As for parts cleaner tanks, the stronger (harsh) chemicals are so much more efficient than the eco-friendly ones. I use a 2:1 blend of Mineral Spirits and Butyl Acetate... that will pretty much dissolve grease and paint right off of your parts.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by darnold87 View Post
    I agree w/ everyone about using specific cleaners rather than solvent. I'm a chemist and work with many of the solvents you can buy at hardware stores (MEK, Toluene, Xylene, Naphtha, Acetone, etc). You don't want to use those on your bike as they are overkill. I usually stick with Simple Green, Purple Power, and sometimes good old WD-40. Worst case scenario, sometimes those strong solvents can be helpful getting the really tough stuff off (like old chain lube grime on the swing arm).

As for parts cleaner tanks, the stronger (harsh) chemicals are so much more efficient than the eco-friendly ones. I use a 2:1 blend of Mineral Spirits and Butyl Acetate... that will pretty much dissolve grease and paint right off of your parts.

I've been using just straight kerosene, with an old toothbrush to clean my chain and parts. Works great! I've got 18,000 miles on my R6's (factory) chain from doing this for 5 years

Kerosene is a pretty weak solvent, so yeah, that's another 'safe' one to use on the bikes... It's available at most hardward stores and is usually labelled "Kerosene K-1".
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    I got a solvent tank a couple of Christmas's ago. When I asked about what to purchase, a couple of folks suggested 'Stoddard Solvent'. I went to a petroleum dealer and asked for Stoddard Solvent. They indicated it ran $8.00 a gallon. Since I asked Santa for a 15 gallon tank, I was shocked. I purchased 5 gallons and filled the tank with bricks to minimize the volumn. Gerry
    Stoddard solvent, mineral spirits, white spirits, dry cleaning solvent and paint thinner are all the same solvent.

It was originally called Stoddard solvent by the dry cleaner that developed it W.J. Stoddard.

It is the main ingredient in WD-40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links