Drain plug stuck
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Drain plug stuck

Help, my drain plug seems to have seized and won't budge. You can see how its stripped from my attemps. I am using a standard wrench and the size is correct, it just seems like it's fused in. The bike is an '09 model and I bought it used, it has about 40k miles and I have never changed its oil. Any ideas on how to loosen that sucker?

many thanks

I'm sure someone who had dealt with this will come on and give you some advice.

If it were me, and in the absence of any better ideas, I'd get a new plug, then use a dremel to cut a deep slot in the head. Then I would put the bike against a wall so I could push hard against it. I would use a small prybar or similar that fit the slot nice and tight, push hard and turn.

Hopefully someone will have a much better and proven idea for you!

Was overtightened by last person who changed oil. It only has to be snugged down, not cranked down by someone worried it will fall out. pound a tight fitting 6 point socket on and try that. If that doesn't work then chisel on very outside of plug but be careful and don't damage case. Of course have new plug (with o ring)on hand because won't want to use old chewed up plug.
    TWilight likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

forgot to say that you would want to chisel on bottom toward back of bike so force would be turning stuck plug counter clockwise.
    TWilight likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I lost track of all the stuck drain plug threads

http://tw200forum.co...ug-rounded-off/

http://tw200forum.co...ain-plug-stuck/

http://tw200forum.co...ped-drain-plug/

http://tw200forum.co...1/ShowPost.aspx

http://tw200forum.co...8/ShowPost.aspx

http://tw200forum.co...2/ShowPost.aspx

From an old post by Jimbo

The torque Specs for The drain plug and filter covers is as follows.

Big Drain plug=(43Nm or 31 ft/lbs.)

Screw oil filter cover-upper=(7Nm or 5.1ft/lbs.)

Bolt oil filter cover-lower=(10Nm or7.2ft/lbs.)

I'm gonna quote myself from another thread. This is most definitely the safest way I've done it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    If you can't get a grab on it with anything, the socket and JB Weld trick does wonders, and you can even keep the plug as a spare or leave it on for easy removal.

Just get an 18mm/19mm 6-point socket (something snug, flush, and shallow) and put a piece of paper or something in the bottom to separate the drive side and the socket side. Mix up your JB in the socket, fit to drain bolt, wipe excess, and wait a day. 1/2" drive socket would be best.
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    I'm gonna quote myself from another thread. This is most definitely the safest way I've done it so far.

Just get an 18mm/19mm 6-point socket (something snug, flush, and shallow) and put a piece of paper or something in the bottom to separate the drive side and the socket side. Mix up your JB in the socket, fit to drain bolt, wipe excess, and wait a day. 1/2" drive socket would be best.

See, I told you someone would come along with a better way!

If the jb weld doesn't work, try grabbing the outer edge of the plug with some needle nose pliers). Or, very carefully use a hammer and flat head screwdriver to try and tap it loose. Tap the outer edge of the plug, not the bolt head. Once you get a little groove in the plug, it should start to move, or just break. Either way, have a new plug ready. Yours needs to be replaced.

My old cr250 used a very similar plug for the exhaust valve check cover. PO tightened it too much and I used a screwdriver and hammer to carefully tap the outer edges (making sure to go easy and not touch/gouge the engine) and the plug eventually cracked and came right off.

This was pre-plug replacement. The chipped bolt head corners should have clued me in...haha

Thanks everyone, I was afraid it was going to get destructive.. will have to order a new plug before I try the above. Any ideas where I can find one online?

thanks

I think Stadium Yamaha or Boats.net are the reliable ones for price and keeping full stock. I used Bikebandit once and got dragged around for a week on backorder and billing issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links