Oil Cooler
Close

Thread: Oil Cooler

Is there a potential problem with the engine that warrants an oil cooler? Rather, has anyone added one to fix an annoying problem. I saw a thread where someone said that when the carb gets too hot it affects performance. (haven't been able to locate that thread yet). Thanks

The oil cooler is simply an improvement for engine longevity. TW's have been ridden successfully without oil coolers for [s]35[/s] 25 years now (thanks PSC). But, in hotter climates oil temperatures do get hot enough to cause a breakdown in the oil. Most have alleviated the problem by changing the oil often, like every 500 miles. Since the TW only holds a quart, it's not a big deal to do so. Here where I live it will be 111 degrees later this week. I put on an oil cooler for my TW's benefit, and for my own peace of mind. It does help that a forum member offers a trick oil cooler adapter at a reasonable price. Lizrdbrth comments on the oil temperature thing on pages 7 and 8 in the oil cooler thread here. I haven't heard of any heat related problems with the engine operation other than pinging when it gets too hot.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    The oil cooler is simply an improvement for engine longevity. TW's have been ridden successfully without oil coolers for 35 years now. But, in hotter climates oil temperatures do get hot enough to cause a breakdown in the oil. Most have alleviated the problem by changing the oil often, like every 500 miles. Since the TW only holds a quart, it's not a big deal to do so. Here where I live it will be 111 degrees later this week. I put on an oil cooler for my TW's benefit, and for my own peace of mind. It does help that a forum member offers a trick oil cooler adapter at a reasonable price. Lizrdbrth comments on the oil temperature thing on pages 7 and 8 in the oil cooler thread here. I haven't heard of any heat related problems with the engine operation other than pinging when it gets too hot.
    Thank you B-dub, I'm not the sharpest tack when it comes to engines so I gotta ask these questions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

25 years...
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Switch to a real ester-based synthetic oil. The temperature drop will be close to that of an oil cooler due to reduced stratification of the oil in the engine due to the variance in base molecules, since all base molecules are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Switch to a real ester-based synthetic oil. The temperature drop will be close to that of an oil cooler due to reduced stratification of the oil in the engine due to the variance in base molecules, since all base molecules are identical.

I have seen my oil drop as much 39 degrees with the oil cooler and with synthetic oil.

Ronnydog

I know that it has been a very long time since I have visited here, but thought I'd re-post my oil cooler install.

Living in a high desert climate, I installed an engine oil cooler to help keep it cool during those scorching summer temps.

What I used:

http://www.motobike.jp/ [Item]: POSH An Exit Of The Oil For Oil Coolers Type1 (COLOR: Black)[924029-(03 : 06)] Merchandise 8,400Yen / Delivery Charge 2,400Yen / Total 10,800Yen (exchange rate at the time $109 US dollars)

http://www.summitracing.com [Item]: SUM-220687 -06 90 HOSE END SWIVEL (2) $28.85 [Item]: SUM-230606 S.S. HOSE -6 6FT $28.90

http://www.napaonline.com [Item]: Thermo Sleeve Heat Barrier Part# BK 7353967 $24.99

Power steering cooler from mid to late nineties Dodge 2500 fullsize truck. Local salvage yard $10

O-rings for adapter from local hydraulic shop $1

Add to that parts I had on hand: Two screw type hose clamps, a few nylon zip-ties, a line clamp, a few inches of heat shrink tubing, a metric self tapping screw to mount the cooler, a foot of self sealing silicone tape and a straight metric threaded -6AN 90 degree fitting.

This has been working flawlessly for many years now. I moved up to a KLR650 and my wife now rides the TW200. That was the plan all along

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Switch to a real ester-based synthetic oil. The temperature drop will be close to that of an oil cooler...

I hear this said all the time.

Not so. In fact the temp drop advantage is immeasurable, if it exists at all. I've been riding around with ten pounds of very accurate equipment on my bike which fully verifies that statement.

The overriding source of heat in our motors is cylinder head and the combustion process. Heat is heat. Synthetic gets just as hot as dino while engaged in the process of removing heat or it would be totally useless for the purpose. It is no better refrigerant than dino and their flash points are the same +- a few degrees. Any advantage gained by reducing friction in the bearings, transmission crush surfaces or anywhere else in the motor is essentially negated once the oil enters the cylinder head passage, and a quart of oil is only a quart of oil, once heat-saturated.

I'll allow that they survive the carnage for longer. That much can not be discounted.

They do NOT run cooler in our application.

End of oil thread intervention. Sorry.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links