Kickstarters
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Kickstarters

Kickstarters

I run some accessory lights and a 12v charge port on my bike on a separate switch than the stock wires so I didn?t have to hack into the wiring harness, leaving the accidental possibility of forgetting to turn them off. This brings me to my question: Is it possible, without fabrication or additional hardware, to pull the kickstart from a 2000 model tw and put it on my 2002? I see all the xt conversion kits but nothing on just plug and play from old model to new model. I hope it?s this simple. Not looking to drop $300-400 to have a kickstarter if my battery ever runs out of juice in the woods.
    littletommy, Peterb, Ken and 1 others like this.

Yes, it is that simple!

Let me know if you have any questions regarding what is involved in doing this swap)

Brian

- This should say TW- Brian Really, Really, Really, Really knows his TWs.

Your kickstater swap should be very easy with the right side gasket removal being the most difficult phase.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I?ll have to look into the gasket and the procedure, but excited to know the parts bike I bought wasn?t entirely a flop. Was disappointed in the condition of its case, and the fact that the frame had been poorly welded back together under the tank. Only paid 150.00 for it, so I?m happy to know I?ll at least recoup my costs via the Kickstarter.

Are there any diagrams or videos on here to make the job easier? Thanks in advance.

Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

TW parts bike you say ?

Whats wrong with it ? How much of it's left ? Is it for sale ?
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Hi Justin,

PM me with your email address and I will send you some instructions for removing/replacing the kickstarter assembly.

Where are you located?

Brian

The parts bike (2000) looks like it was never maintained. The frame was barely visible through years of caked on mud. It had been stripped of its lights, signals, and front brake. It has cracks in the case over the counter sprocket and also at the Kickstarter. Leaks oil from between case halves on the bottom. Has been welded back together under the tank, and carries no title, just bill of sale, amongst other things. I didn?t even try to start it as wrenching the engine over just didn?t feel right, although it did have compression, and the spark plug appeared okay. It also had a broken ignition coil wire and the wire to the starter motor had been torn off.

Honestly seeing the bike in this shape upset me, considering how much pride I take in my tw. I quickly reconsiled though when I was able to walk with it for $150.00. I took the head off to learn more about my own bike and found a lot of parts are still universal with my 2002 model. other parts I figured I could make a few dollars and recoup my investment, such as the cdi unit, wiring harness, tank, frame, etc. You looking for certain parts? I?m afraid to get rid of the whole bike as I believe I may need the top end eventually as I?m getting chatter that just seems irregular. I?m no valve/ cam love replacement expert, so replacing the gasket and head seems more appealing. I also like the idea of having a lot of cheap oem replacements for down the road as I?ll prpbably need them as a first time bike owner. Let me know if you need anything from it on the cheap, however.

By the way, I?m from PA, about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. Thanks for the help Brian. I?ll send you my email.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    What condition is the gas tank in? If it’s rust free and useable I might be interested in buying it. Thanks.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Great score on that parts bike. For that price, you can afford to just hang on to the whole thing, just in case.lol.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

You got a screaming deal. If I were you I would completely disassemble the parts bike to clean and freshen up the parts, package and label them en route to the shelf.

Since I'm me I'd love to buy it and fix it and ride it and in the course of time recondition it. The kicker is shipping coast to coast can be stupid expensive.
    littletommy likes this.
    '87, '90, 90 & '91 XT350's. It's a family thing, wife says its an enabling thing. Saving up for a TW of my own.
    Looking for anything Yamaha XT or related. especially a brake caliper and master cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links