HELP!!! FOR NEWBIE
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So I replaced my base gasket and cylinder head gasket along with various orings. hooked everything back up and now the motor turns and sound like it is trying to start but the motor stops at a certain point and will not turn over. Then all of the sudden gas came out of the carb hose. The motor will turn back by hand but then it does the same thing over.

What could be cause?

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Are you saying the engine literally stops after a few cranks? or the starter goes slower and slower after each attempt?. Gas out of the carb hose....Bowl overflow/drain at the bottom?....stuck float?.

Sounds like your timing chain is not in time! Did you check to make sure you put it in the right position? Im guessing your hitting a valve because its opening when its not supposed to. Thats my guess anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

litterly stops and crank kick start either. When I pulled the base the piston slipped out of the cylinder. There is an arrow on the top of piston. Which way daoes it point. rear or front

Double check your cam timing, including making sure it's on the compression stroke when the marks line up. Don't force it if it won't turn over a complete revolution, as Smalls pointed out you could bend a valve if you do so. Once or twice when I've had the carburetor off, gas would run out of the overflow as soon as I turned the petcock on. Apparently the float got stuck when I laid the carburetor on it's side; tapping the float bowl with a wrench jarred the float loose and solved the problem. On page 140 (Chapter 4, page 60) of the main manual it specifies the arrow on the piston points to the front of the engine.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

It is possible that I need to adjust timing I was getting excited since it has been three weeks since I last rode it and been stuck in an ACless cage. I will try tomorrow to re time it.

Thanks again everyone.

You have to be diligent when installing the chain. Line up the marks on both the cam and crank. Then after installing the chain, carefully turn the engine through several revolutions and then back to the marks again to make sure both line up properly before buttoning everything up.

If you got the cam timing off like it sounds like, you'll be fortunate if you didn't bend a valve.

I had lined up the tick mark on the cam with the T on the rotor when I re-installed. Could it have been off 180*.

No. A camshaft cannot be 180 degrees out. Since its a two to one ratio of cam to crank revolutions, every time the crank turns one turn (mark lines up), the cam turns half a turn. Therefore even if you timed the cam 180 degrees from where it was, its still accurate because when you rotate the crank a full turn, the marks will line up.

Well the mark lines up on both and valve clearance was right....? Just trying to start it by electric after 10 seconds it seizes up. Then I could hand crank it backwards and it would release then I tried kicking it to start and it took about three kicks before it stopped and I was still able to hand turn it.

So I should take the cam off and turn it one more full revolution till T lines up again and then try it?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get it right and clarified.

Thanks

PS When I disconnected the clutch cable the arm for the clutch swung back towards the rear of the bike. When I reinstalled the clutch cable I had to push the bike forward to be able to move it by hand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links