headlight help
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By qwerty
  • 1 Post By qwerty

Thread: headlight help

Need a little help here. Is it possible to run high beam and low beam on the hi switch while keeping just the low beam enabled on the low switch?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Yes. Bypass the switch on the low beam circuit so it is always on. The high beam will only come on with the switch is in the high position. Problem with this idea is excess heat generated from running both filaments burns them out really fast.

r80rt likes this.

Pretty much what Qwerty said. Burning it at both ends, quite literally. There are plenty of threads on headlight upgrades to remedy a weak beam if that's the issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I guess I will look in to getting one of those "fog light" set ups.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

TWs have a "balanced" e;ectrical system and not really a lot with which to play. Stock headlight on a 2001+ is 55-60W. Here are some things I've tried on various motorcycles:

1) Free. Aim the headlight slightly low and run on high all the time. The high beam pattern is much more energy dense than the low beam pattern, with sharper cut-off. I did this for years. This is legal as long as the top of the beam pattern is pointed slightly down on level ground.

2) Free. Rig a wedge to a cable that moves the bottom of the headlight bucket in and out for high and low beam. BMW does this on some of models with HID. Works GREAT.

3)$12. Headlight relay and 14-gauge wire to headlight. Brightens and whitens the cheap H4 bulbs.

4) $40. Premium H4 replacement bulb. Very nice improvement. Works even better with relay. Short bulb life. Avoid higher wattage bulbs unless you reduce light load elsewhere (switch to LEDs) and use a relay to avoid overloading the stock wires and smelling burning plastic.

5)$125. German 4300K Bi-xenon (HID on high and low) HID conversion in stock reflector. Draws about 20 watts less than stock while operating, so additional watts for adding more lights.

6) $200 Pair of German 4300K Bi-xenon HID conversions in a pair of small rectangular H4 conversion headlights in chrome buggy lights. FREAKIN! AWESOME!

My next headlight set-up will be a 7-inch round buggy light with a Truck-Lite LED headlight and a pair of auxilary lights to use the extra watts on low beam.

Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

My next headlight set-up will be a 7-inch round buggy light with a Truck-Lite LED headlight and a pair of auxilary lights to use the extra watts on low beam.
    Did you ever get the Truck-Lite Qwerty? If so, and with the spare time you might have, could you do a write up maybe on it? I'm about to install a LED headlight and would love to see your setup first. Thanks!
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MCC1776 View Post
    Did you ever get the Truck-Lite Qwerty? If so, and with the spare time you might have, could you do a write up maybe on it? I'm about to install a LED headlight and would love to see your setup first. Thanks!

Hope qwerty responds on this,I'm curious also.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Hope qwerty responds on this,I'm curious also.
    Me too.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sponosred Links