Get Rid Of That Damn Stock Chain
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Get Rid Of That Damn Stock Chain

Smile Get Rid Of That Damn Stock Chain

When I restored the Black Widow last winter I wasn’t sure what gearing to choose. The only sprocket combination I had ever run was the 14/45 which came on my 2006. This combination had always worked well for me as I ride a lot of two lane roads. I installed a stock DID Chain temporarily to experiment with the 14/50. I desided to keep this combination after only clocked 1000 miles on it and today I replaced it with a DID X-Ring Chain. I kept the standard chain clean and lubed but have had to tighten it twice. I laid the chains side by side to get the proper length. The standard chain had stretched one complete link and had started destroying my front sprocket.
    Two years ago I put an O-Ring chain on my 2006 after 5000 miles and I also had to replace both sprockets. I have never had to adjust my O-Ring chain.
    Don’t waste your money on standard chains and if you are running a standard consider replacing as so as possible.

Notice the difference in size of the chains, the stock chain is a little rough after three hard days of riding in Green Ridge.

00DF96D7-49AF-4085-B4CB-6234A4DE6080.jpeg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 10-16-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I put a DID X-ring chain and new front,rear sprockets at time of install. Put 14,000 miles on chain and sprockets at time of replacement.
    1991 TW200

Stretch out the chain and put a yard stick next to it. You can measure the stretch. There should be a rivet every 1/2". Maximum acceptable stretch is .006" / rivet.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was sceptical, as in "Really, 14hp, how bad can the OEM chain be..?" Then after having to adjust for stretch pretty much every ride, I went o-ring. Several thousand KMs on it and never had to adjust.
    Like someone said, "There is no economy in buying a non-oring chain." Or something like that.

And, even if you're willing to adjust stretch every ride, remember as it stretches (wears, really), the spacing is no longer correct to mesh nicely into the sprocket teeth, so that will cause accelerated wear on the sprockets.
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 10-16-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Do the 2018 models have o-ring chain?

Yamaha only lists "chain" in the specs on-line, but that is the same on the XT250, which comes with o-ring chain.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/du...t/models/tw200

2018 XT250 0-ring chain.JPG
    Ken, littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

I'd see no reason why they would put a better "O" or "X" ring chain on it. Same folks that dropped the kickstarter to give you a front disc brake. Keep costs down and folks are going to buy them anyway.

I changed to an "X" ring with less than 300 miles on it. Part of a sprocket change but even if you weren't doing that the difference between the no-ring chain and the x-ring is day and night. One thing to add is don't measure to match the old chain, and eliminate links to match it. Just make sure you have the same amount/number of links. If you are doing this when the chain is already stretched a lot you may get a false number of links.

And keep you stock chain as an emergency spare if it is not trashed.

Stock original chain. 290 miles. I adjusted it maybe once so it was still in pretty good shape.
    IMG_6321.JPG

Stock chain pulling the new X-Ring chain thru.
    IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.jpg

The TW is the only motorcycle I own that uses a chain. All others are shaft-drives. I went with chain paste instead of chain oil/grease. So far I've been pretty happy with the product. No more crap flinging off onto the tire.
    The chain itself... much more beefier and and obvious much higher quality than the stock DID (it's a DID too).
    IMG_6328.jpg
    Last edited by stagewex; 10-16-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Anyone got a link on a preferred o-ring?
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Do any of you here have any experience with Rocky
    Mountain ATVs chains?
    A couple weeks ago I sent Lauren in Hawaii some chain lube and a brush. I had told her back when she purchased her bike that she would have to maintain her chain and i just knew that wasn’t happening. Well a day before she received the package she called me and said her bike was squeaking. Her chain was the culprit so I ordered her an o-ring chain from Rocky Mountain ATV. The sales person at RMATV said they manufactured there own brand “Primary Drive”. He said there chains had a higher tensile strength then the DID chains used. He told me they had five stars so I bought one, along with a master link chain press and had it sent to Lauren.
    Have any of you had any experience with the brand Primary Drive?
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I doubt it. I was more than pleased to find that my 2016 CRF came with a O-ring chain...
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Do the 2018 models have o-ring chain?

Yamaha only lists "chain" in the specs on-line, but that is the same on the XT250, which comes with o-ring chain.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/du...t/models/tw200

2018 XT250 0-ring chain.JPG
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Here is an x-ring chain that will have to be cut to fit but that is simple enough to do.

JT CHAIN 428X1R-134SL | eBay
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links