STUCK FORK CAPS
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: STUCK FORK CAPS

So I was off to change my fork oil...( after 7000 miles of mostly road work.) I know too long , but I am putting about 75 miles a day on the bike quite regular now...before , not so much... Anyways , I cannot get the fork caps off. I almost thought "reversed threads." , but havent seen anything about that , so... I have used a long pipe on a breaker bar with no luck...I am sure I will be able to figure this out , but I was hoping someone "here' may have a simple fix? Ive done penetrating oils and the like... I havent given up ~ just want to know if I am the only one that has run across this. Previous owner must have played in salt water? I have had a gaggle of bikes and havent run across this before,, Both caps stuck ~ yet havent had the nuts or bolts anywhere else on this bike a problem.(and Ive been places).. Thanks guys ~ Eric

Have you loosened the top pinch bolts?
    Fred likes this.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Now might be the time to try the ATF/ACETONE penetration oil treatment----------good luck ----Scotsman

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

try PB Blaster (penetrating oil) several applications over a few days. it does wonders
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

I've had the opportunity to replace seals or change oil on 2 TW's. One a 91 and then a 2005. In both cases the fork caps were not seized and came off real easy, but you have to do what Rainman says, loosen the top fork pinch bolt, then try the fork cap. Otherwise it will feel like they are seized. If the fork caps are on that tight with the pinch bolts loosened, then maybe follow Scotsman and bikerjosh's advice. (Note to self: loosen, but don't remove fork caps until it's time too)

I'll just add to what Rainman's mentioned, leave the lower pinch bolts tight to hold the fork tube until you have the fork caps loosened. Good luck.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I've had the opportunity to replace seals or change oil on 2 TW's. One a 91 and then a 2005. In both cases the fork caps were not seized and came off real easy, but you have to do what Rainman says, loosen the top fork pinch bolt, then try the fork cap. Otherwise it will feel like they are seized. If the fork caps are on that tight with the pinch bolts loosened, then maybe follow Scotsman and bikerjosh's advice. (Note to self: loosen, but don't remove fork caps until it's time too)

I'll just add to what Rainman's mentioned, leave the lower pinch bolts tight to hold the fork tube until you have the fork caps loosened. Good luck.

So I was off to change my fork oil...( after 7000 miles of mostly road work.) I know too long , but I am putting about 75 miles a day on the bike quite regular now...before , not so much... Anyways , I cannot get the fork caps off. I almost thought "reversed threads." , but havent seen anything about that , so... I have used a long pipe on a breaker bar with no luck...I am sure I will be able to figure this out , but I was hoping someone "here' may have a simple fix? Ive done penetrating oils and the like... I havent given up ~ just want to know if I am the only one that has run across this. Previous owner must have played in salt water? I have had a gaggle of bikes and havent run across this before,, Both caps stuck ~ yet havent had the nuts or bolts anywhere else on this bike a problem.(and Ive been places).. Thanks guys ~ Eric

Sorry , I coped the post and pasted it again !!! thread lock !!! Looked like Loc-Tite RED ... So , a bigger breaker bar did it... Thanks again for all of your help// Eric
    Tweaker likes this.

Wow!

Who in their right mind would use RED Loc-tite on a regularly serviced fastener? Good thing you managed to get them off without destroying them completely!
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    Wow!

Who in their right mind would use RED Loc-tite on a regularly serviced fastener? Good thing you managed to get them off without destroying them completely!
    Yes weird indeed ~~ and I got this bike with only 600 miles on it Well its on its way to 8000 now.. and doing great ...

Lucky it came apart. Previous owner needs a good killing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links