Full width of a parked TW? (needs to fit in the garage)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Full width of a parked TW? (needs to fit in the garage)

Full width of a parked TW? (needs to fit in the garage)

I don't have one yet, but I would like to find out if it would fit in my garage for the winter.

Could someone measure the full width, from farthest out point of the tires, across to the end of the opposite handlebar?

I know Yamaha states a 32 inch width, but that isn't the case when it's parked.
    littletommy likes this.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Rider View Post
    I don't have one yet, but I would like to find out if it would fit in my garage for the winter.

Could someone measure the full width, from farthest out point of the tires, across to the end of the opposite handlebar?

I know Yamaha states a 32 inch width, but that isn't the case when it's parked.
    To get it in / out you will need the clear the handlebars, under 32"
    When you turn the handlebars, as to lock the forks, that is close to the same.
    littletommy likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Thank you for your answer. My concern is not getting it into/ out of the garage. It is how much the motorcycle leans when on the kickstand. It will have to park parallel to a car and I am worried it would lean too far into the car to allow the car door to open.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade Rider View Post
    Thank you for your answer. My concern is not getting it into/ out of the garage. It is how much the motorcycle leans when on the kickstand. It will have to park parallel to a car and I am worried it would lean too far into the car to allow the car door to open.
    Lean it against the wall opposite the car. Or, place a small piece of wood, say 2x4, under the kickstand, standing the TW more upright. I do this when I'm working on it sometimes. Or maybe make a homemade wheel chock for the front wheel thus holding up the entire TW upright.

I did something like this on my homemade motorcycle workbench. Mine is rather crude but it works and you can take the idea and make something a little better from it. In this picture my TW is being held upright and in place entirely by this front tire chock.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Vertical, as admiral suggests, would consume the least amount of space. (the aforementioned 32” plus any added handguard bar end attachments width) .
    Ken, maddawgj, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I really like the vertical stanchion approach. Clever and simple. And takes care of my problem. Thank you!
    littletommy, maddawgj and admiral like this.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

If the garage is that narrow and tight you could use the vertical as shown by Admiral and also remove the bars for the winter and just move them over for storage. This might give you an additional 8-10 inches of clearance. I am not sure how much cable free play there is but I am pretty sure you could remove the 4 cap screws and twist the bars with everything still attached to get you some additional clearance. I did it in my shed where I had 2 bikes stuffed in along side of my RZR.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sounds like you need to clean out your garage!
    Ken, Purple, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    2008 TW200
    2008 YZ250
    2013 Honda CB1100
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    2016 Mazda CX-3
    2006 Hyundai Sonata

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    There’s enough cable to remove the bars with out disconnecting anything. Mine are currently zip tied to the frame pending new steering bearings and the new triple tree and forks getting installed.
    littletommy and Cascade Rider like this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

You could get sell your car.
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links