Battery is slowly losing charge. Advice?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Battery is slowly losing charge. Advice?

Battery is slowly losing charge. Advice?

Well first of all. Hello to all. Just bought my first tw about 7 days ago. I drove it about 1 mile to closest gas station to top it off. After filling it up. I went to start it and got the famous. Click, click.
    Low charge on battery. After roll starting it.And driving the additional 10 miles home. I put the trickle charge on the battery overnight. Which it was green and ready to go. Took charger off for a day.
    Then drove it for couple times. Then started it a few more times. Then got the click click again. The guy I bought it off of. Also purchased a brand new battery. Gave me new box. That also came with the trickle charger. When i hook up my volt meter to the battery it does slowly drain. So I dont know what to do next.

p.s. after I unplug the voltage regulator it seemed to stop draining. I ordered a new voltage regulator. Just in case. But I have very strong doubts that this is the issue

Please help

Some cheap batteries are junk from day one. Another possibility is that there is some drain when the battery is in the TW. Take it out, trickle charge for 24 hours, then test voltage every 6 to 10 hours for two days. If it's still good, there is some drain to chase down. This is somewhat unusual in an unmodified TW, as there is nothing electronic to power when off.

If it's a lead/acid, test each cell with a hygrometer. Most likely, it's a bad battery.....it's real easy to fry a new battery by charging at too high a rate. Lot's of battery threads here.

And welcome!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Welcome to the forum!!

If you put a Volt meter on it while running above idle, what does it say?
    jtstdub likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it's a lead acid battery make sure each cell is full of electrolyte. Battery acid or distilled water will work, tap or faucet water will not.
    littletommy and jtstdub like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Cool

ok checked with volt meter while at idle. 14.2 volts. yes lead acid battery. that came with the juice to fill battery. so i know thats right. i will in the next couple days fully charge the battery. and take volt readings. each day. in the morning and after work. thanks. pretty sure that will determine if the battery is bad. or i have a draw of power happening somewhere in system.
    littletommy likes this.

As an alternative you could try to directly measure any current draws. Check your multimeter for it's maximum rated amperage. You likely can detect a small static discharge rate by putting ammeter directly in series with key and everything turned off.
    However I would suspect a bad battery with an internal short as being more likely than an exterior short being responsible for the discharged battery.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-25-2017 at 12:09 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Cheap test. With the battery charged and in a low light place hook the black cable to the battery. With the key turned off tap the red cable to the positive post. If you see a spark then you have a current draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Cheap test. With the battery charged and in a low light place hook the black cable to the battery. With the key turned off tap the red cable to the positive post. If you see a spark then you have a current draw.
    True but a small drain on the battery will not produce a visible spark, well maybe if you do it in the dark.

Any decent DVM, even the good old Harbor Freight meters will do up to 10 amps. Do not attempt amp readings on the small scale. The 10 amp scale requires the operator to move the Hot lead to another terminal on the meter to operate on the 10 amp scale... If amp readings are attempted in the smaller scale it will blow the internal fuse in the meter...

Everyone should learn this technique. It is quite easy.... Always put the probes back into the normal plug after you are done and put the dial selector on a dc voltage. If you do not you could blow the fuse the next time you use the meter and attempt to measure voltage...hahahaaaaa!

Jim
    littletommy, fishguy, Fred and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I would measure with an ohm meter for resistance to ground on the positive lead while it is disconnected from the battery with the key off. in a perfect world, you should see no ohms. the mores ohms that is displayed on the meter, the faster your battery will die
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    I would measure with an ohm meter for resistance to ground on the positive lead while it is disconnected from the battery with the key off. in a perfect world, you should see no ohms. the mores ohms that is displayed on the meter, the faster your battery will die
    That works too. I prefer measuring current...

Sorry but you have stated a wrong Ohms law...

Correct that you should see no ohms...... but you then state "the more Ohms displayed the faster your battery will die".... Think you just got tongue tied..hahahaaa

"0" Zero ohms is a direct short... Thus the most current! infinite ohms= no connection, no current/amps.

Jim
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links