True or false? 65mph...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question for you guys who know these TW's well. True or False: "You're gonna tear that little bike up running it 65mph down the highway for more than an hour or two." That what some old feller told me last week. Was running my bike thru his town, the chain popped off, he helped me get it back on, asked "Did you come from the neighboring city?" "Yep" "And you rode this little bike down the highway?" "Yep" "How fast?" "Oh, 65mph or so" And he said "You're gonna tear that little bike up running it 65mph down the highway for more than an hour or two." Hasn't been my experience so far...but it got me to wondering. Thought I'd throw it out there for you guys who have been around these bikes for years.

False. Lizrdbrth and Ronnydog ran their TW's for close to 18 consecutive hours recently on their Iron Butt tour. It looks like their moving average was 57 mph, with a top speed of 65. On the last day of my recent trip I rode close to 400 miles at around 55 mph. No problems. If well maintained these engines are pretty durable.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Well.................... I've owned mine for 6 years now....... I've pushed it at 65 down the road, never more than 100 miles max... But you will hear from other guys that will tell you both sides of the high speed story..Some will say it won't hurt.. Others will say you're nuts.. I say don't bother to push it too much if you want the dub to last very long.. At those RPM's they can use oil at a faster pace... We have others here that load them up with so much gear I'm surprised they run as far as they do without blowing up. So doing the short spurt doesn't hurt when done from time to time. Besides if I need speed I hop on my trump america. OMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep. They'll self-destruct if you take 2,000 mile vacation on them. And they'll definitely self-destruct if you do an Iron Butt 1,000 on them, or slap a week's worth of camping gear on them and slog through soft sand for hundreds of miles without ever getting past third gear.

If you drain the oil out of them first.

YMMV, but I've done all those things and many have done far more. I've had zero catastrophic failures and spent less on factory parts, fuel and tires per mile than I have on almost anything I've ever owned.

It certainly isn't the ideal choice for 65 mph commuting on a daily basis, but that has nothing to do with its durability.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

This is an interesting topic.

As a rider who spends a lot more time doing 55mph on pavement that 15mph on singletrack, I sometimes wonder about the effects my riding style is having on my TW's engine.

Also, considering that much of that riding is done in 90-105 degree heat, questions about the longevity of this little air cooled engine are definitely raised.

I know that I'm a pretty good candidate for an oil cooler, and although that's on my shopping list I probably won't be getting one until next year.

I've seen other posters mention more frequent oil changes, but how frequent is really necessary? I've seen 500 miles thrown out there, but that means about every 2 weeks for me.

Any advice?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    This is an interesting topic.

As a rider who spends a lot more time doing 55mph on pavement that 15mph on singletrack, I sometimes wonder about the effects my riding style is having on my TW's engine.

Also, considering that much of that riding is done in 90-105 degree heat, questions about the longevity of this little air cooled engine are definitely raised.

I know that I'm a pretty good candidate for an oil cooler, and although that's on my shopping list I probably won't be getting one until next year.

I've seen other posters mention more frequent oil changes, but how frequent is really necessary? I've seen 500 miles thrown out there, but that means about every 2 weeks for me.

Any advice?
    I ride 78 miles every day. Very fast downhills and engine lugging uphills. Same route and usually HOT conditions.San Fernando Valley to Malibu.I use the Rotelli (sp.check) oil.and its so cheap ,I change it every 1500 miles. It always looks good whern it comes out and I change my oil filter every 3500 miles. (I clean it every oil change though.) I run my bike hard and feel good about this routine.~ Eric

I often wonder the same thought... "how much is too much?"

I purchased mine new in May. I took 'her' in for the break-in service and asked the owner/parts manager at the Yamaha dealer just what is a safe cruising speed for the TW... His reply, "I used to run a 250cc wide-open from here to Palm Beach, you can't hurt these things..." The ride he was talking of is from Stuart to Palm Beach, about a 30 mile run.

Now perhaps he being the owner/parts manager would want me to be a frequent returning customer to keep him 'busy-$'... but i think he was being sincere in his response. While I don't think it is healthy to run anything wide-open for any extended period of time, anything mechanical is going to break down sooner or later. I think the proper maintenance at the proper intervals is the key for longevity on anything.

I now have 2,400 miles on my TW. My main riding is done as a 'commuter' 15 to 20 miles roundtrip from work daily. I have found the best cruising speed at about 55 mph. I get the best fuel mileage at that speed as well.

I have a full 5 year warranty on my 'baby' and we will see just how many miles can be put on a TW

Stay tuned...

Be safe & Keep on TW 'ing,

Matt Ward

- 2012 Yamaha TW200 -

WOW!! I knew we would get some feed-back on this topic... I'm just an average rider for speed.. I do both on road & some off roading.. Just last week I was tooling down a looooooooooooooooooong straight with a tail wind.. I was sitting up-right when I looked down and was going 65.. So just for fun I opened it up. did 75 on the speedo with out a problem.. I just don't hold it wide open that often... I use my dub for cruising on back country roads.. I use my trump for the long, fast haul that's all. For the record. 9,000+ trouble free miles on the dub. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post

Any advice?

Yeah, 500 mile oil change intervals is probably more than necessary. Factory recommended interval after breakin is 3,000 miles. The concern, of course, is that in extreme heat the oil can begin to break down. So, more frequent oil change intervals ensures you're not riding around on oil that is no longer doing it's job. I live in a climate similar to yours and I change mine every 1,000 miles. However, I don't commute on my TW, so don't rack up the miles that fast. Now that I've added an oil cooler and synthetic oil I will probably extend that out a bit. In my opinion it really depends on how hot it gets while you're riding, and how high oil temps get. I would say if you're doing a lot of commuting over open roads where there is a lot of airflow over the engine you could change less often. If you're stuck in stop and go traffic, or sitting at the traffic light in the heat of the day often, or pulling hard grades at low speeds often, then you would probably want to change your oil more often. Like choice of oils it's kind of a personal decision, and you'll have to decide what you're comfortable with. But, if your riding is fairly consistent there are places you can send in oil samples for analysis if you really want to establish a baseline.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

IMHO

NONE of the major companies have real synthetic oil anymore either PAO or Ester they are all just very processed dino oil. Not crap just not synthetic.

My answer to winding the pee out of my Tdub is to use REAL synthetic. In my case I chose Redline Ester but would also recommend PAO like Amsoil. I can always get over 70 sitting up anytime on a stock 2008

The little bugger only takes a qt so I can justify $16 a qt for a beat on air cooled thing.

I also make my own "blend" currently pick Valvolene synthetic (bs) and then add 25% of a real synthtic like the redline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links