Tire uneven wear...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tire uneven wear...

Tire uneven wear...

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone front trie with a Shinko 700, just love the tire for the price, good traction on pavement and dirt. My only question is it seems to wear uneven on a slope, more at the back of the threads then in front. Need advise on if the problem could be caused by incorrect tire inflation or improper wheel balancing
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's normal with a lot of tires. You can turn them around and remount them and even them out if you want.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Switch your wallet to the other pocket when you ride. Watch wear. When it evens out, remove wallet and ride with out it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tw200quebec View Post
    I replaced the OEM Bridgestone front trie with a Shinko 700, just love the tire for the price, good traction on pavement and dirt. My only question is it seems to wear uneven on a slope, more at the back of the threads then in front. Need advise on if the problem could be caused by incorrect tire inflation or improper wheel balancing
    Looks normal to me. At least in the sense that my factory front tire wore the same way.

Tom
    maddawgj likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    Switch your wallet to the other pocket when you ride. Watch wear. When it evens out, remove wallet and ride with out it.
    I'm equally poor weather riding with or without my wallet

Tom
    Fred and maddawgj like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Thanks you guys, always nice to see quick replys

You are braking to hard with the front wheel. The rear tire doesn't wear that way because braking is counterbalanced with acceleration.

As LT suggested, you can flip the tire over to even out the wear but if you don't change your ways it will just happen again.

Suggestions: When riding on asphalt increase the tire pressure 10 or 15 lbs. above what you run now. I use 30 psi in my front tires. Also, concentrate using the rear brake more, or to a greater degree, than the front. (Of course in an emergency use them both to the max!) Practice stopping with the rear brake only then add in the front brake once you get the feel for what the rear brake only will do. Good luck.

I wore out a couple of Bridgestones before I figured out what was going on. Here is a picture of one.

P7050811.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 10-25-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

you could just send your wallet to me and not have to worry about switching sides
    Moabman likes this.
    2005 Tdub

Thanks for the plausible explanation elime. I’ll have to start using my rear brake more often.
    boumboQC, maddawgj, elime and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    You are braking to hard with the front wheel. The rear tire doesn't wear that way because braking is counterbalanced with acceleration.

As LT suggested, you can flip the tire over to even out the wear but if you don't change your ways it will just happen again.

Suggestions: When riding on asphalt increase the tire pressure 10 or 15 lbs. above what you run now. I use 30 psi in my front tires. Also, concentrate using the rear brake more, or to a greater degree, than the front. (Of course in an emergency use them both to the max!) Practice stopping with the rear brake only then add in the front brake once you get the feel for what the rear brake only will do. Good luck.

I wore out a couple of Bridgestones before I figured out what was going on. Here is a picture of one.

P7050811.JPG
    That front knobby tire wear is caused by sustained high speed pavement riding. In that case it is 50-55 mph on a TW
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links