High RPM engine stall
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: High RPM engine stall

High RPM engine stall

09 TW 200
    Bike dies out at higher rpms. Restarts right away. Drained and cleaned fuel tank. Petcock flows well. Thought it acted like gas starvation. Bike runs well. Starts right up and all is well until under heavy acceleration and then dies out. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.

Is the tank over filled? We had some trouble on our Ca models with too much gas in the tank. Some venting problem which cleared up at lower speeds and lower fuel level.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the float level is too low, or restrictive fuel flow somewhere in the hoses or float valve. Other idea could be a loose or split intake hose from the carb to the head sucking in extra air.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Dirty/clogged gas filter?
    jtstdub, Ken, admiral and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Was thinking vapor lock on tank. No vent line from tank so thinking vent is in fuel cap? No exterior fuel filter. Was looking at parts diagram and can someone verify that petcock has a sock filter on it.It just started and has run well so for last couple of years so I don't think float position would change. Acts like fuel problem but could be electrical. Will check for cracked hoses. Is the coil located under the tank? And can you troubleshoot coil?
    Thanks for the suggestions
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

If it's not a fuel filter, then it probably is the screens on the petcock. I doubt it's electrical. Pull it and inspect it.
    maddawgj, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

It's my sons daily transport so trying to help him out. After hurricane Irma whacked us we were hard up for working gas stations so he was filling up with 5 gal. jugs. Will continue down the fuel issue road.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    It’s a very safe bet that your post-Irma fuel had more water in it than it should. I would drain the tank again, run the carb dry and (optional but a good idea) clean the carb. Also check the spark plug isn’t fouled or cracked. Then get some marine grade (ethanol free) gas and maybe some Seafoam or similar and see how it runs.

Single cylinders shut off when they miss fire since there is no other cylinder to keep it running till it’s next time to ignite. What you are describing sounds exactly what I experienced after buying fuel from a station with a bad seal on their tanks after heavy rain. It was fine till I got to hwy speed then it would die and I’d have to coast off of the road and restart. Then repeat again and again. Barely made it home and immediately drained all the fuel and poured it in the truck. Cleaned the plug and used ethanol free gas and solved the issue.

Good luck.
    littletommy, Ken, Tweaker and 1 others like this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

I'm going to say it as no-one else will - "float bowl height" - check it again ......
    littletommy, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I would do a flow fuel test into a container. I don't know what a good flow rate might be, but I would say that if your get a cup or so in a minute, it should be enough. That test should also rule out a fuel tank vapor lock if you get constant flow. Also, the petcock picks up off the bottom of the tank when it's on reserve. If you've been running questionable fuel out of jugs, the reserve position may be clogged by sediment, or picking up water on the bottom of the tank. try the flow rate on both regular and reserve settings.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links