Chain won't Stretch!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I put a new DID O ring on my bike, yes, Qwerty, with new sprockets, 1200 Miles ago.

I keep checking and it does not need any adjustment! What gives? I was adjusting the other one pretty much after every ride.

As well, my bike was getting a little hard to start and would not take gas untill warmed up. I adjusted the valves, they were tight, and she now starts immediately and will take gas right away.

I read into your post because I thought maybe you were commenting on the stock chain.

I have 3500 now on my TW and the stock chain has only been adjusted 2 times and its on setting 4. I expected it to be dust by now. But it keeps going.

Anyone else have an experience similar to mine with the stock chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I put a new DID O ring on my bike, yes, Qwerty, with new sprockets, 1200 Miles ago.

I keep checking and it does not need any adjustment! What gives? I was adjusting the other one pretty much after every ride.

As well, my bike was getting a little hard to start and would not take gas untill warmed up. I adjusted the valves, they were tight, and she now starts immediately and will take gas right away.
    2008 TW200 - Jimbo W/S, Rear Cycle Rack, Magnetic Drain Plug, Wally World Seat Cover, Custom JB Welded Seat Screws. (Desires - Kicker, Raised Handlebars, and Round Headlight)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I read into your post because I thought maybe you were commenting on the stock chain.

I have 3500 now on my TW and the stock chain has only been adjusted 2 times and its on setting 4. I expected it to be dust by now. But it keeps going.

Anyone else have an experience similar to mine with the stock chain?

I put over 7500 on my stock chain before I changed it to a O-ring. Was also only on setting 4. But the chain started to stretch "unevenly".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow...my stock chain has/had 3500 miles on it and got to where it was stretched after every ride. I was on setting 8 and it needed adjustment again, so the O-ring chain deal came along at the perfect time!
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Forgive me folks, but chains don't stretch. But they do eventually manage to settle in to grooves worn into sprockets, pivot on smaller radius pens, and develop slack that cause the need for adjustment. How fast all this occurs depends on how much you use the twisty thingy, how hard you pop that lever in your left hand, and whether or not you even use that left lever when you are raising or stomping on that lever under or over your left foot, and or flexing your right wrist. You can baby these things for many thousands of miles or trash them in pocos kilometros - everything is in your style. If the oem chains were as bad as most people depict them, Yamaha would not use them. If everyone rode their bike like the most conservative rider, no upgrade chains would be sold. Ride on but do pay attention to whether your chain needs adjustment or not. Cheers, Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

So Peruano what exactly are you tryin' to say? Im a clutch-poppin, shifter-stompin, throttle-stranglin' mad man?

You've seen me ride huh?!

J.K. Of coarse, but is my riding style really that different from others? I use the clutch to shift and not before my foot is back off the shifter, I've never popped a wheelie, I lubed that sucker after every ride or two... I do give the throttle some love though... naaaaaah.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post

Is this a complaint?!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Is this a complaint?!

No, I anticipated that it would stretch, err, I mean, "settle into grooves worn into sprockets, pivot on smaller radius pens, and develop slack that cause the need for adjustment" over the first few hundred miles. Then it would be several thousand more miles before any adjustment would be necessary.

Since you put new sprockets on there are no "grooves" to settle in to. This is the reasoning for applying new sprockets when installing a new chain. Good job on doing it the right way! Your chain thanks you.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    Forgive me folks, but chains don't stretch. But they do eventually manage to settle in to grooves worn into sprockets, pivot on smaller radius pens, and develop slack that cause the need for adjustment. How fast all this occurs depends on how much you use the twisty thingy, how hard you pop that lever in your left hand, and whether or not you even use that left lever when you are raising or stomping on that lever under or over your left foot, and or flexing your right wrist. You can baby these things for many thousands of miles or trash them in pocos kilometros - everything is in your style. If the oem chains were as bad as most people depict them, Yamaha would not use them. If everyone rode their bike like the most conservative rider, no upgrade chains would be sold. Ride on but do pay attention to whether your chain needs adjustment or not. Cheers, Tom

I'm glad Tom said this as my 94 still has all the OEM stuff on it, I'm changing the sprockets and chain this weekend cause the rear sprocket is really worn. The thing just turned 4K, but asked the advice from my local dealership and they said the OEM product is just fine. These guys have not steered me wrong as of yet, my WR450 is full of mods bought from them so I'm assuming they know what there talking about when it comes to the TW.

Just my .02 cents worth
    1994 TW200...bone stock...3900 miles on the old ticker...

2005 WR450

2005 WR250

1972 CR250...old Elisnore

1975 XL250 Enduro--newest edition :-)

And for fun, 1972 Chevelle SS, 468 Supercharged :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links