Best replacement battery recommendation-light weight and long lasting?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Best replacement battery recommendation-light weight and long lasting?

Best replacement battery recommendation-light weight and long lasting?

The TW is one of 3 bikes and the one I ride least...so keeping things going is an issue. I have had the bike since April, and usually I ride it a few times a week and that has been fine. I got busy and did not ride it for 3 weeks and I can not bring the battery back from the dead (in this case I ran extension cord from my unit and connected to battery tender for several hours to try and charge-the light eventually turned green but the bike still won't start) I do not have electricity in my condo garage so a regular battery tender is not an option. Although the bike is new it sat on the show room floor for a year and I am sure the battery just discharged.

Anyway, I need a new battery and found, then lost, a thread about a light weight (a half pound!!!) long lasting option. I really need something just lasts as long as you are riding...which has always been the case with my other bikes, no need to tender them (except when I lived in the Midwest, but in S.Cal now).

Thanks!

Sounds like you are interested in a modern lightweight Li battery. I have both the Shorie and the Battery Tender models for the TWs. Both are excellent in my opinion. The Shorie has been very popular for years but the Battery tender can be had for ~$30 to $40 less, ~$80. I like the multiple terminals of the Battery Tender model. Cold temperature operation won’t be an issue in Southern California, your riding season is longer, these batteries hold their charge for years...thus any float charging during periods of non-operation should not be neccessary.images-4.jpeg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have the BT battery in all my bikes. So far, no problems and they hold a charge for a long time if the bike isn't ridden.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you don’t mind gambling there is this option from Alibaba. I was going to buy two of these to try. I have lithium cells to make my own so I didn’t purchase these. I think these are the same as WPS lithium’s not sure though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...204.8.4.WPQRiS
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I could go into a long paper on the differences between shorai (LI-ION) vs battery tender (LI-IRON) (I am using both) and the preference of using the special shorai cell balancing charger....(another $85.00) ,but i suggest doing some research on both. I will just give you my recommendation: get the battery tender LI-IRON battery, and use your standard battery tender charger. As most bikes now days have computers, and drain the battery constantly; keep it on all the time.
    maddawgj and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynlee View Post
    Although the bike is new it sat on the show room floor for a year and I am sure the battery just discharged.
    No doubt!! And not only did it discharge, it was probably killed right out of the box by high current charging.
    Either an AGM or a Lithium-Ion battery will fit your bill, but the Li batteries are about twice as much. However, they will keep their charge for most of a year unless frozen.
    I use an AGM, since I'm cheap and I have to overwinter the battery in 20 degree temps. Mine has lasted four years, but I do make sure it gets a trickle charge once a month.
    There isn't much difference in weight between an AGM and a Li, both are about 1/4 the weight of the OEM.

Do buy a reputable brand whatever you do, there are an astounding number of crap batteries out there!
    maddawgj, Lynlee and Ken like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    If you don’t mind gambling there is this option from Alibaba. I was going to buy two of these to try. I have lithium cells to make my own so I didn’t purchase these. I think these are the same as WPS lithium’s not sure though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...204.8.4.WPQRiS
    Ha, no gambling!
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I could go into a long paper on the differences between shorai (LI-ION) vs battery tender (LI-IRON) (I am using both) and the preference of using the special shorai cell balancing charger....(another $85.00) ,but i suggest doing some research on both. I will just give you my recommendation: get the battery tender LI-IRON battery, and use your standard battery tender charger. As most bikes now days have computers, and drain the battery constantly; keep it on all the time.
    thanks! Unfortunately regular battery tender or charger use is not an option, I have a shared garage and there is no power outlet. So in an emergency I can run an extension cord from my unit or the laundry room. Neither is appropriate on a regular basis though (an eye sore and trip hazard for my neighbors). I didn't know battery tender made batteries.
    Ken likes this.

Time to roll the ol bike into the apt... haha
    thanks! Unfortunately regular battery tender or charger use is not an option, I have a shared garage and there is no power outlet. So in an emergency I can run an extension cord from my unit or the laundry room. Neither is appropriate on a regular basis though (an eye sore and trip hazard for my neighbors). I didn't know battery tender made batteries.
    Ken and Stufidmotard like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Maybe gambling is too strong a word. More like being a guinea pig as I don’t know anyone who has tried one of these and you have to deal with China for the warranty. Personally I will problebly end up buying at least one of these batteries because at that price it can’t really be any worse than the stock Lead acid battery. The benefits of the Lifepo4 cells out weight any risks in my mind. This is a safe battery that will do all the requirements you were asking about. The Battery Tender brand Lifepo4 motorcycle batteries are likely made in China with their brand on them.

If you want to pay 40% more and get an easier warranty here is a link on EBay for an $80 BT battery.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162656995164

Ha, no gambling!
    Last edited by Tweaker; 11-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    Fred, Ken and littletommy like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links