Shifting part way
Close

I have a 1990 with 5,000 miles. Just recently, the bike has been shifting weird. It will down shift just fine but when I up shift it only shifts partly. I'll go from first to second (finding neutral sometimes by accident) and it will engage but I don't hear or feel it and then WHAM it will pop out of second and go into neutral. I took off my right side cover and watched the lever and springs while I shifted it and I could see it not fully engaging. As far as I can tell there are no adjustments on this part. Any thoughts?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I am LOST when it comes to gears and transmissions, but I know that on the TW, chain tension plays a HUGE role in shifting! I can always tell when my chain needs adjustment; shifting will become difficult...lots of neutrals, etc.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the shifting was getting sloppy, but the chain was within limits...ended up being a worn front sprocket!

When I used a standard chain, I would have to adjust it weekly (I put a LOT of miles on!) or the shifting would suffer! Now that I have an O-ring...shifting is nice...until the sprockets wear!

Hopefully this is where your problem lies...
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    I am LOST when it comes to gears and transmissions, but I know that on the TW, chain tension plays a HUGE role in shifting! I can always tell when my chain needs adjustment; shifting will become difficult...lots of neutrals, etc.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the shifting was getting sloppy, but the chain was within limits...ended up being a worn front sprocket!

When I used a standard chain, I would have to adjust it weekly (I put a LOT of miles on!) or the shifting would suffer! Now that I have an O-ring...shifting is nice...until the sprockets wear!

Hopefully this is where your problem lies...

I am lost on transmissions too. You are absolutely correct on the chain tension, its the first thing I checked.

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I took off my right side cover and watched the lever and springs while I shifted it and I could see it not fully engaging. As far as I can tell there are no adjustments on this part. Any thoughts?

Actually, there is a clutch adjustment that can be made inside the right side cover. I only know this because I've got a clutch slippage issue right now and the service manual explains how to make the adjustment.

Can you get your hands on a service manual? I think there is one online somewhere.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I have a 1990 with 5,000 miles. Just recently, the bike has been shifting weird. It will down shift just fine but when I up shift it only shifts partly. I'll go from first to second (finding neutral sometimes by accident) and it will engage but I don't hear or feel it and then WHAM it will pop out of second and go into neutral. I took off my right side cover and watched the lever and springs while I shifted it and I could see it not fully engaging. As far as I can tell there are no adjustments on this part. Any thoughts?

On my KLR when the oil needs changing the shifting starts acting up like that. I haven't had enough experience with the Tdub to know if that's characteristic of it or not. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Actually, there is a clutch adjustment that can be made inside the right side cover. I only know this because I've got a clutch slippage issue right now and the service manual explains how to make the adjustment.

Can you get your hands on a service manual? I think there is one online somewhere.

Good idea. I've done that. There is a screw and a locknut that you tighten until the clutch shaft (where the clutch cable attaches to the motor) just moves.

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by rockiedog2 View Post
    On my KLR when the oil needs changing the shifting starts acting up like that. I haven't had enough experience with the Tdub to know if that's characteristic of it or not. Is it?

You may be right. I wasn't due for an oil change due to mileage, but I was running 20-50 because of the warm summer months. I was riding when it was cooler with the thick oil. I did change over to 10-40 and it seemed to be fine today.

1990 TW200

Switching to Mobile Racing 4T synthetic did good things for Tdub's transmission and clutch.

Sponosred Links