Idiot proof way to change front innertube?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Idiot proof way to change front innertube?

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)

Question Idiot proof way to change front innertube?

So does anyone have an idiot proof way to change the front tube because this idiot has already popped two tubes. My new 241 was shipped shrink wrapped so the beads still want to stay touching adding to the fun. The first tube was my fault I know better than to keep going when tired and frustrated but I did and I butchered it. Yesterday I took my time and properly installed #2 and it has a pin hole leak in it. I have not removed the rim strip and replaced it with tape but otherwise my method is almost exactly https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-change-motorcycle-tire I’m out of practice but I’ve never had such an issue before.

Any advice before I try round 3 after UPS brings my next victim tomorrow? I can still pop that one and buy a 4th and save money over what the local shop wants to install a tube. Thanks.
    Ken, Bobo413, littletommy and 3 others like this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by maddawgj View Post
    So does anyone have an idiot proof way to change the front tube because this idiot has already popped two tubes. My new 241 was shipped shrink wrapped so the beads still want to stay touching adding to the fun. The first tube was my fault I know better than to keep going when tired and frustrated but I did and I butchered it. Yesterday I took my time and properly installed #2 and it has a pin hole leak in it. I have not removed the rim strip and replaced it with tape but otherwise my method is almost exactly https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-change-motorcycle-tire I’m out of practice but I’ve never had such an issue before.

Any advice before I try round 3 after UPS brings my next victim tomorrow? I can still pop that one and buy a 4th and save money over what the local shop wants to install a tube. Thanks.
    I would find a different shop. I just had a tire mounted for the expensive cost of 4$ today but it was tubeless and no balancing.

Option b would be to return faulty tube #2 and blame it on manufacturing defects, then try again
    Ken, Bobo413, littletommy and 2 others like this.

Try slightly inflating the tube once inside the tire before mounting . Not too much, just enough to get out the folds or wrinkles.
    This will help keep it from flopping down & getting pinched by your tire irons. Be mindful not to insert the tire irons too far inside the tire / wheel when mounting. Check the edges of the tire irons for burrs or nicks that could be damaging the tube. Use plenty of lube .
    Work slowly & have fun
    Good luck .
    Ebbanflood, maddawgj, Ken and 6 others like this.
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would carefully inspect the tire irons and rim edge for any burr's that might be causing the pinholes.
    maddawgj, Ken, Bobo413 and 4 others like this.

Ok, Your'e a faster typer Bobo.
    joeband, maddawgj, Ken and 5 others like this.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Partial inflation was the problem with the first tube. My neighbor w/ the air compressor I borrow went out of town before I could borrow it so yesterday I broke down and bought a small inflator to use. I’m going to pull the whole tire off when I get a chance and check the rim thoroughly. The spoons are new since the old ones never got returned to me and have no burs.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Further clarification: partial inflation with the valve core removed.

You only need to put a bit of air in there so the tube takes shape and fits in the tire where and as it should so it is out of the way and not flopping about around the bead of the wheel where it gets pinched. For installing I also always use the flat side of the spoons, not the curved part.

Watch
    I use Windex for the lube.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

First thing I would do is leave a inflated tube in that tire for a day to spread the beads before I even try to install it. Before I put the second bead on I pull the valve core out and make sure the tube is tucked as far away as possible from the top bead by running my hand inside the tire. After I get the tire and tube installed I inflate and deflate it a couple times by taking the valve core right out with the hope that it will make the tube sit in all the right places.

I like this guy's tire changing video.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links