LED Headlight
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By maddawgj
  • 3 Post By Fred

Thread: LED Headlight

LED Headlight

Hi all,

Stumbled across an old thread and someone posted an image of a LED headlight unit, I can't seem to find any of them online for the TW so I'm guessing they are a universal thing.

IMAG0291.jpg

Something like that, not the led bars on the side (although I'm looking to get some spotlights in the future)

What are the legalities of it also? I'm in the UK so presume it would have to be E marked.

Many thanks!
    Tom

Saying that, I believe I have found one as close as possible to the top photo. I'm just not sure on the size of the standard headlight for the TW. Is it 7 inch? I seem to remember it being that.

Link for headlight here

The photo makes it look like it has curved edges in the middle, ideally it's needs to be just square to fit the original bracket

Too many links (on Google) to look at them all, so hopefully someone will chime in to help

The issue with the one that you linked to on Fleabay, is that it doesn't have a Hi/Lo setting - low beam only

It may be that the side lights on the TW pictured address that .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It shows pics of high/low. Wiring to the circuit may take some exploration. Plus fit, of course.

The pics don't work for me - just going by the text ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Replacement for H6054, H5054, H6054LL, 69822, 6052, and 6053 etc.” The plug is correct for the TW’s wiring.

I would expect that it would work but the fact that they list and refer to it as being for “off-road vehicles” is their way of saying that it is not legal (DOT for US or your UK equivalent) for on road use.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Correct plug sounds good, it's just the shape of it, the photos make it look like it has a rounded rectangle shape which means it won't fit in the current housing for the TW

Not too worried about the legalities as I would use it off road at night, some cool places near me offer some long trails which I think might be cool at night. I'd change it back over to a road legal one for use on the road.

One could simply add LED auxiliary lights to lower triple clamps and use a three way ON-OFF-On toggle switch for “either-or” logic to feed 12V to either stock headlight or the added aux. LED lights.

That way you could free up 50 plus watts to drive some seriously bright lights without the often used path of replacing all incandescent light bulbs with low-draw LED equivalents. This is usually done to free enough amperage to drive the OEM headlight plus auxiliary lights, or LED H4 headlight bulb plus aux. LED light pods.

Wiring for above described switch entails installing switch on one of the switched OEM leads to the headlight and then routing power out of switch with one terminal feeding new LEDs and other terminal connecting back to the cut OEM headlight wiring. So with switch in position #1 ON one has stock lighting. In OFF position one has blacked out Hi, or Lo beam, your choice. Stock Hi-Lo beam switch still works to select stock options, just one option is not illuminated. In switch position #2 ON one now has added LEDs illuminated but not the headlight.

Just an idea to affordably and readily have both legal stock lighting as well as beneficial increased LED illumination for off-road. I run both LED H4 bulbs as well as 20W LED pods off road and enjoy the added illumination.
    sk4606.jpg
    A switch like that above may be readily installed through the headlight’s plastic cowling, or another location of your choice. Unfortunately have not seen any wagterproof 3-way handlebar mounted switches for motorcycles The above unit I would seal with a bit of Liquid Electrical Tape or other non-silicone sealant. RTV silicones outgas acetic acid when curing which can be corrosive to copper terminals.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Mel, Purple and maddawgj like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links