Oil change misadventure
Close

So I took my first crack at changing my own oil today. I had the dealer do the 1st service at around 600 miles, and now I'm at about 1600 on the odo so given the high heat around here I went ahead and changed it again myself.

I picked up a quart of Yamalube (dino) 10w-40 and a replacement filter element from the Yamaha dealer, and followed the very helpful step-by-step process pinned on this board to help me along. I learned a few things along the way:

1) The new pleated oil filters are practically impossible to spray out with WD-40. I had hoped to clean it out and re-use it, but too much gunk was stuck between the pleats that I couldn't seem to spray out so I went ahead and replaced it.

2) The hole in the middle of the oil filter IS NOT A FINGER HOLE! I now sport a freshly circumcised pinky finger to prove it. Once I got the bleeding to stop and bandaged up my fingertip, I found an allen wrench to be a much more useful tool for extracting the filter.

3) That little hex-head flange bolt with the philips head grooves in the middle is extremely easy to shear off. Maybe, once I saw the oil flowing out I was so exuberant at my job-well-done that I developed superhuman strength as I tightened it back down. Maybe, as the clerk at the parts department later suggested, it's a crappy little bolt. Either way, I was very lucky that I was able to get the shaft of the bolt out of the hole without losing it inside of the engine or having to tap it out. They didn't have a replacement M6-1.0 x 10mm at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, or the Yamaha Dealer. I finally found an ugly silver one in class 10.9 at Autozone.

After all of that though, I got the dirty oil out and some clean oil in. After a 10 mile initial test drive, the engine sounds good and the clean oil seems to be happy to stay inside of the engine, so I'll consider the whole exercise a success. At any rate, I have gained some valuable experience and insight that I hope will serve me well 1000 more miles down the road!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

You just learned one of most valuable lessons for a dub owner... Keep that oil clean and flowing in & around instead of "OUT" (o; Ya don't need a lot of power turning in the screw.... OMM.

Good job! Experience, in my opinion is the best teacher. Next time, and each time after that the oil change will be a breeze.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hell, the day before yesterday I sliced my finger open while detailing the engine compartment of my Jeep-car. I think I inherited my dad's if-you-ain't-bloody-you-ain't-been-wrenching gene.

It's probably a whole let better for that bolt sheer off than to strip those threads. You may want to consider replacing that crappy little bolt with another crappy little bolt -- just in case of another surge of super-human strength.

Congrats on the oil change. I usually very much enjoy doing my own work, bloody or not.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Some vehicles and some jobs demand a blood sacrifice.

So far so good for me on the TW.... wood gathering this year has been extra bloody though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
    Some vehicles and some jobs demand a blood sacrifice.

So far so good for me on the TW.... wood gathering this year has been extra bloody though.

I recently inherited a Stihl Farm Boss, so I'm basically counting the days that I have left to enjoy the use of both legs!

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
    ...wood gathering this year has been extra bloody though.
    That sounds like it could be bad.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Growing up working on cars with my dad, we used to say "it's not really done until you bleed on it."

So you must have done it right!

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    I recently inherited a Stihl Farm Boss, so I'm basically counting the days that I have left to enjoy the use of both legs!

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
    That sounds like it could be bad.

Not that bad. I haven't fired up the chainsaw at all. Instead I've been gathering wood that was cut as part of a forest thinning project. These are tree segments from 3 to 6 feet long, 8 inches to 12 inches in diameter. They are heavy and I have to pick them up and carry them, or drag them 50 yards or so, then manhandle them into the truck. I come back with deep bloody gouges in my arms and shoulders each time.

Still, this is the easiest wood gathering since it is all in one place and the logs are fairly straight and of a good size.

Sponosred Links