• 4 Post By Rhodekoff
  • 5 Post By TW-Brian
  • 4 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 4 Post By maddawgj
  • 5 Post By Ken
  • 3 Post By Pete H

Thread: Ď94 shift lever sticking

Ď94 shift lever sticking

Hey guys, just recently started having a problem on my 1994 Tdub where the shift lever would stick when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. When it sticks it feels like itís physically getting caught on something and it will not budge when upshifting. Iíd have to slow down and downshift in order to get it to budge, then it will shift fine.

It occurs very intermittently so itís difficult to pinpoint what I️ may be doing to cause it if it is operator error. Iím still a little bit on the green side of riding so I️ might very well be doing something wrong.

It only started a few hundred miles ago. I️ just rolled over 1600 miles the other day.

If you guys have any suggestions Iíd greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Just to rule out the simple things first, I would suggest changing your oil and maybe trying synthetic oil if you are not already doing so.

What Brian said. Cheap, easy stuff first before you crack anything open is the way Iíd go. Wouldnít be surprised if someone will chime in with a similar situation as yours and hopefully how to troubleshoot. I doubt being green would make much of a difference as to why that happened. Look the oil filter over good and replace if necessary. Cheers
    littletommy, maddawgj, Ken and 1 others like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Yup, thatís the best place to start. The oil also lubes the transmission and clutch so it can and will cause issues. Some additives put into car oil (they separate fluid for the transmission) are not good for a motorcycleís wet clutch. Iím not going to open the can of worms that is the debate on what oil to use but if you want to play it safe find one formulated for motorcycles with wet clutches so that you know it isnít causing the issue. Good luck.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in Ď14 and rebuilt in Ď17. Ď06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, Ď04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodekoff View Post
    Hey guys, just recently started having a problem on my 1994 Tdub where the shift lever would stick when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. When it sticks it feels like itís physically getting caught on something and it will not budge when upshifting. Iíd have to slow down and downshift in order to get it to budge, then it will shift fine.

It occurs very intermittently so itís difficult to pinpoint what I️ may be doing to cause it if it is operator error. Iím still a little bit on the green side of riding so I️ might very well be doing something wrong.

It only started a few hundred miles ago. I️ just rolled over 1600 miles the other day.

If you guys have any suggestions Iíd greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine was sticking more from 1st to 2nd but the screw in the shifter came lose and was keeping the shifter from moving completely. It's cheap and worth checking.

Hmm, there's not much to go wrong here. Make sure your lever is not loose, or bent and physically rubbing on something. Is your clutch disengaging fully, maybe a fraying clutch cable. Have you done something stupid, like really stomped on the lever or crashed bad on the left side recently. Your biggest nightmare is a bent or broke shifting fork. hopefully it's a simple fix, like a bad cable or rubbing external part. full synthinc oil is an improvement, but not a cure all.

Sponosred Links