I've had it with this piece of shit
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: I've had it with this piece of shit

I've had it with this piece of shit

Every FUCKING time I want to ride this piece of shit motorcycle, it's got carb problems. Soon as I can get it running right again, I'm selling it. I've spent a lot of time fixing up this bike, but what a piece of garbage that carb is!!

Here's the problem;
    After it's sat for more than a week or two, when I go to start it, it will fire up fine on choke. Full choke only though. After warmed up, it will run on half choke, but there is a 'dead' spot just off idle. It acts as if the needle is not lifting out of the mid jet that it rests in when the throttle is off. If I turn it slightly past that point, just off idle, it will rev up and to the moon. Once warmed up, it really won't idle and will instantly die if I give it any throttle. Back to part choke, then rev, then take the choke off, it will run as long as I rev the throttle past that dead spot just off idle position. Also, when I chop the throttle, choke off, then rev it again, it will back fire on the throttle chop. It's pretty obvious to me that the carb is not allowing fuel in from the time I crack the throttle open until maybe 1/4" twist on the throttle, then it revs up as it should at that spot. If I slowly close the throttle, at that position just above idle, it will bog and die unless I rev it again. Every chop it backfires as it bogs. Lean condition!
    I've removed the carb and inspected everything I can find. Main jet is working as that is why it will rev; I twist the throttle past mid range and the main will fuel the bike and it'll run. It's between idle and 3/4 that is the dead spot. I pulled the mid jet along with the main jet and inspected. It looks good too. I can hold the jet to the sun and see light though all the holes; 3 on opposite sides and 2 on the other opposite sides. The carb looked in perfect condition when I opened it.
    In the past, it's done this and all I needed to do was rotate the carb enough to pull the top, then the rubber stack that contains the springs and needle and clean the needle and spray some carb cleaner into the needle jet. Reassemble and she runs fine. Now this time that doesn't work.
    If I didn't know better, I'd say the rubber diaphram isn't sealing right or has a hole, there-by not allowing the needle to come up out of the needle jet and fuel the motor. It works on vacuum and it behaves as if it needs a ton of vacuum with the wide open throttle, for it to work right. Barely open throttle allows in air through the butterfly valve, but it's like the needle isn't coming up. Not, at least, until it's reved up with the choke providing fuel to do so. Then there seems to be enough vacuum to pull the needle up. Until I unchoke and let revs slow down. With slower revs, throttle bogs as if lean and will die without fanning and working up the revs again enough to get enough vacuum to pull the needle out of the needle jet and allow fuel in.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in this. Nothing has changed in over 3 years; I start the bike, warms up within a minute and off I go. Last few months the carb acts up and I pull the diaphram/needle, spray a bit, wipe a bit and she's back working.

I flushed any old fuel, replaced with fresh stuff just in case that is causing any problem. Don't see how with the symptoms I'm experiencing though. It's just a for-shit carb that is way too touchy and isn't worth shit.

So, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I recall replacement Chinese carbs off eBay helping out and I'm ready to do that so I can get this thing running and sold. Over $5,000 into it and it feels like all I did was polish a turd.

****EDIT****
    I rarely swear. Thought I'd edit out the swearing, but it really conveys how irritated I am. I mean I threw shit around in my garage, kicked shit until I think I busted my toe and damn near rolled the bike into the field where I dumped the old gas and set it on fire. This is a machine. One I understand how is supposed to work. Everything is in place and in good repair. It should run, but it won't. That pisses the hell out of me!
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 11-30-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    The bear slayer!

So sorry to hear about these problems. I'm no carb guru, but I'll take it off your hands for a parts bike.

My problem was the intake rubber between the carb and the cylinder, it was cracked and sucking in air. When you have it running spray some starter fluid on the boot and see if the revs pick up. If it does its leaking. Just a thought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gee Jerry, had I known of your frustration I would have made a cash low-ball offer on what otherwise is your finely equipped camouflaged TW. Instead your baby might just deserve a new OEM carb, or sweet-talk me out of my spare carb. After that much time and effort maybe a little plug-n-play satisfaction is well deserved , especially if you are tired of wrenching to no avail. Sure, the stock carburetor may not be optimally tuned but at least you can ride your TW rather than curse it. Just leave it alone. While you are likely the "fastest carb remover in the west” that slide diaphragm might be loved to death from shim experimenting.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

WD-40 will also work, and is a little safer.
    maddawgj, Ken, PlacerLode and 1 others like this.

rbm
    Check the boot and add a bunch of Seafoam to the fuel and run it to let it work. What you're describing is exactly what mine did when I bought it, the pilot was partially blocked with crap from old fuel laced with ethanol.

Thanks for the tips. Might be as simple as the intake having a leak. I'll check tomorrow.
    When I played with shimming the needle, I got this bike purring. The throttle was smooth as silk. She would start without choke if the temps were over 60 degrees outside. Just ideal from sea level to 7K'. Then it sat for a while and that's when it started messing up. Pull the diaphram and needle, clean and reinstall, she ran as she once did. Until this time. Now it will only run on full or half choke and has a bad lean bog from throttle opening to about 1/4" or so of throttle movement. Past that, if I'm fast at fanning the throttle, she'll rev.
    It's got to be the needle and needle jet circuit, but dang if I can find it.
    Now that it is suggested to check for other potential lean issues, the intake boot for example, maybe it's not the carb.

Up until a few months ago, this bike would sit for months and start on half a crank, idle like silk. It really frosts me that the bike was parked perfect and next time I go to ride it, won't run. Nothing in between slowly failing, just bam!
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    The bear slayer!

Ken
    There's a hole which runs through the bottom of the carb throat. I believe fuel flows through it as air passes over it. I can't remember but I think it is part of the pilot circuit. I ran a wire, oh no, or tip of a long needle through it. You have to access the hole from inside the carb. Just look inside the throat where the hole is and you will see what to remove to access it. Mine worked great after that. Mine would start and idle but giving it gas would chug, jump or die. I was trying to run it through by driving it like a tractor and the choke was my throttle, that didn't work. I use only ethanol gas. It's still running good. OEM carb parts seem to be most helpful on these carbs also. Aftermarket carb parts give issues on these carbs. That is my experience anyway.
    maddawgj and littletommy like this.

If you had the old style carb I would say you had a plugged pilot jet. The teeny hole the runs the long ways through the jet. My suggestion would be to buy a new pilot jet, maybe one size richer.

I have played with old jets in carbs trying to get them to work right. What cured the problem was new jets and dang if I could see a difference between the old and new.

Old style jets can be bought on AliExpress for $10 for 12 of them -- both high speed and pilot -- and they work great! Get a variety of sizes and experiment to your hearts content.
    grewen, Fred, jbfla and 2 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Really sounds like the pilot circuit has ingested some crud.

Seafoam and/or take it apart and dump it into someone's Ultrasonic tank.

And I understand how you feel. All I do is work on bikes when I have time. I had a BMW sit for over a year because of a pain in the ass issue. And I should know better, but I threw parts at it and used the excuse that it was all part of the "refurbishment". Turned out to be a 13 dollar hose.

Stay calm. You will not be beaten by the machine if you relax, take a step back, and the rationally think it through.

Or, to put it the way I do...
    Some motherfucker built this, And I'm the motherfucker that damn sure as hell can fix it.
    Last edited by Smitty Blackstone; 11-30-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    elime, Dryden-Tdub, grewen and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links