tw shut off when riding and overheat
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey all, I brought 2008 tw200 disk model bike. but when I riding it continuously about 23 or 24 kilometers, It shut down. On that time I check the fuel level, it is ok. also fuel is coming to the carb. I try to start the bike by using kicking & self start but it wouldn't start. on this time engine heat is very high. after 5 minutes I push the self start button bike start perfectly. I start my ride. when i go another 5 km it shut down. same as again I wait 5 minutes without doing anything then i push self start it start perfectly. When I ride short distance bike is running perfectly. One technician is service the carb but still problem is having. also when i accelerate to high rpm it's get long time to come idle rpm. I feel when engine rich some amount of heat level bike will stopped. after heat level decrease it's start. Is this can be happen? plz help me to identify the correct problem. My English is not well. sorry about that. plz help me.

Some questions to help better understand what is going on:

1. How hot is the air temperature when this occurred?

2. How fast were you travelling?

3. What gear were you in?

answers

1. 25 Celsius in Daylight time. also this happens night same as the I told you. no difference day & night.

2. between 50 to 60 kmph speed.

3. every gear it happens when I pass the 23 kilometers (between 24 - 25 kilometers).

Thanks for pay attention to my problem. plz help me to solve this problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From my limited experience I don't think that your bike should overheat in these operating conditions.

Some ideas to check:

If your carb is very lean you might overheat. To check this remove the spark plug and examine it for color and condition. Here are some pictures of spark plugs to help you understand what your plug is telling you: spark plug condition pictures

Be sure you have oil flow in the head. Do this by making sure you have the right oil filter, and that the filter is clean and installed correctly. Then check the oil flow via the bolt in the cylinder: See this thread for pictures: How to change oil thread

There are others on here that know a lot more than I do about engines in general and the TW in particular. I am sure they will have some ideas too.

On edit: when your bike shuts off, open the gas tank to see if it is venting. If it has pressure you may have a venting problem. This is probably not it since you report that fuel is making it to the carb.

I check the oil flow via bolt in the cylinder. It's ok.

Gas tank venting also no problem.

I compare the spark plug with the picture you linked in post. My spark plug in "hot or lean but ok". I have no idea what is the meaning of word lean. plz explain me it and tell me what to do solve this problem.

Thank you so much for helping me.

"Lean" means that there is too little fuel (gas) in the fuel/air mixture entering the cylinder from the carb. A lean condition can contribute to overheating. To correct this you need to service and/or adjust the carb to allow more gas in the mix.

See this thread on tuning a carb.

Any chance the exhaust is plugged? That would definitely cause it to overheat. When the catalytic converter plugged up on my wife's car awhile back it had symptoms similar to what you're describing. That would be easy to check out.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Does the header pipe glow when riding at night?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9q7Rx-2NFk[/media]

Your engine stalling problem has me stumped, our bikes don't have an high temp shutdown circuit.

Just a guess. You might have a bunch of junk in your fuel tank that plugs up the screen when you ride until it stalls. Once the engine quits the junk falls off the screen until you start riding again.

Does it stall at lower speeds?

Are there any leaks in your airbox?

Could you get a laser thermometer and get us some temperature readings?

The bike in your member profile has a monster aftermarket pipe on it. That will cause the engine to run more lean then the factory pipe.

Also most pipes like that need to have the fiberglass packing in them replaced every year or if they get wet. (If it is glass packed)

Is your fuel blended with alcohol ?

Thanks for replies

bullspit

I'll re service and tuneup my carb. give me some time for do it. after doing that I'll tell you status of the bike. Thanks again.

B-Dub

no problem in exhaust I checked it.

Rich

Header pipe not glow like that in your video.

I clean the fuel tank and my bike has fuel filter. when bike stopped I check the flow of petrol to carb. It's ok.

This problem arise riding 23 -24 kilometers continuously. in speed between 40 - 60 kmph.

I don't think so. How to check are there any problem in airbox ?

bike is worked well with the after market exhaust. this problem comes week ago.

THANKS for all helping me. My English is poor. plz forgive me.

dear all,

Thanks for helps. I again service and tune the carb and replace the air filter. now my bike going well. no stops. lean of the carb made the problem.

again thanks for helping me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links