Valve clearance adjustment - 600 miles, a tale of woe and "whoa!"
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Valve clearance adjustment - 600 miles, a tale of woe and "whoa!"

Valve clearance adjustment - 600 miles, a tale of woe and "whoa!"

Bike is at around 600 miles, so I did the adjustment today utilizing tdubskid's video tutorial: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica....html#post2782

I didn't have a tool and was using needlenose pliers. What a pain to keep adjustment in place while tightening the lock nut! I'll be rigging one of the deck screw adjusters or maybe just pop for the tool.

Finally got .003 on the intake and .005 on the exhaust to stay after tightening lock nut with my buddy's torque wrench.

And here's where the woe and whoa! come in:

Putting everything back together, I had a mental slip and since the torque wrench was right there and had a 10mm socket on it, I used it to tighten the gas tank bolt. Everything was going great, but suddenly tighten became loose... and then there was no bolt head. Son. Of. A... should have used a short wrench. Twisted that thing like butter. Snap-on snap off model torque wrench I guess... Ha!

Got it out with the ez out screw extractor kit, but now I have no gas tank bolt... darn, what to do?

Start rifling through my random nuts and bolts and found one which to the naked eye seemed identical. Alas, it was every so slightly too large to fit.

Then I had a thought: The Germans are good at engineering, but the Japanese are GREAT at making things efficient. Which means they likely don't use a ton of different bolt sizes on a bike that's been around this long. So I started thinking (would have been nice if I'd started earlier), what bolt can I scrounge that's not vital to operations?

Seat. Yes... I can ride with one bolt on the seat, even if it's just until I can get a replacement. And then it occurred to me: when I did the seat foam replacement I couldn't fit the handle strap back on, but I left the bolts for it in case I ever needed them.

Took one out and tried it on the gas tank. A little long, but it just threads into dead space. Voila! Instant working status.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

theres a handful of stubby 10mm back in the rear fender / tailight area many redundant and will never be missed
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

That feeling when you snap a bolt is like seeing blue and red flashing lights in your rearview. Or so Iíve read...

Another nice fix that didnít cost anything. Cheers
    Donzo, Mel and littletommy like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I didn't like the feeling with a torque wrench on the TW. ordered one and tried it on one bolt. it felt like trouble waiting to happen, it's been in the drawer ever since. watch out which valve adjusting tool you buy, there are ones that stick up too far, hit the frame while doing the intake valve

https://procycle.us/images/bikepages...ust-driver.jpg
    Last edited by grewen; 12-11-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Last edited by christddel; 12-11-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    I can see if this French shit keeps up, there will be a lot of us left out in the cold and maybe neccesary to move on to an English speaking forum
    Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    how does everyone else feel about splitting our forum into different languages??
    .... Sorry
    grewen, Badgerflorida and jbfla like this.

What I use.
    002.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by christddel View Post
    .... Sorry
    now that I can read your post, it is interesting
    littletommy and Badgerflorida like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by CS1983 View Post
    Bike is at around 600 miles, so I did the adjustment today utilizing tdubskid's video tutorial: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica....html#post2782

I didn't have a tool and was using needlenose pliers. What a pain to keep adjustment in place while tightening the lock nut! I'll be rigging one of the deck screw adjusters or maybe just pop for the tool.

Finally got .003 on the intake and .005 on the exhaust to stay after tightening lock nut with my buddy's torque wrench.

And here's where the woe and whoa! come in:

Putting everything back together, I had a mental slip and since the torque wrench was right there and had a 10mm socket on it, I used it to tighten the gas tank bolt. Everything was going great, but suddenly tighten became loose... and then there was no bolt head. Son. Of. A... should have used a short wrench. Twisted that thing like butter. Snap-on snap off model torque wrench I guess... Ha!

Got it out with the ez out screw extractor kit, but now I have no gas tank bolt... darn, what to do?

Start rifling through my random nuts and bolts and found one which to the naked eye seemed identical. Alas, it was every so slightly too large to fit.

Then I had a thought: The Germans are good at engineering, but the Japanese are GREAT at making things efficient. Which means they likely don't use a ton of different bolt sizes on a bike that's been around this long. So I started thinking (would have been nice if I'd started earlier), what bolt can I scrounge that's not vital to operations?

Seat. Yes... I can ride with one bolt on the seat, even if it's just until I can get a replacement. And then it occurred to me: when I did the seat foam replacement I couldn't fit the handle strap back on, but I left the bolts for it in case I ever needed them.

Took one out and tried it on the gas tank. A little long, but it just threads into dead space. Voila! Instant working status.
    Boo! Thatís a drag. I can see how that can happen though. Itís misleading how much pressure one can apply with a long wrench. I use one for rear axel nut and sometimes I donít. The difference is amazing.

You could probably ride forever with one seat bolt. good idea! Glad you bailed out of that one. I have a seat bolt if you need one.

#GYG
    '13 TW200

A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    What I use.
    002.JPG
    Hello,
    Great idea..!
    Especially not expensive $$$...Congratulations !

Attachment 144034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links