Cycleracks install nightmare
Close

Got my rear Cycleracks rack today and couldn't wait to get it installed.

The right hand allen key bolt (from the top of the passenger footpeg bracket) was a little tight, but it gave in easy enough and backed right out for me.

The left hand allen key bolt though, different story. It turned a cheap allen key into a corkscrew without so much as budging.

I got my nice craftsman allen key set out and I was torqueing it so hard that I thought it would break. Afraid that it might break and slice open my hand, I grabbed it with some vice grips.

The vice grips gave me just enough leverage to completely strip out the hexagon! Allen keys don't work so well in a circular hole.

So, drill and extract it was! Except, the bolt is harder than the Irwin extractor screw I bought at Ace Hardware, so the bolt in turn stripped the threads off of the extractor screw!

I took the cheap extractor back to Ace, and strolled next door to Autozone to buy a harder extractor.

The high carbon extractor had plenty of bite into the relatively soft bolt, and just enough brittleness to snap in half as soon as I put a little muscle into turning it!

So now I have a soft bolt seized up in my left passenger peg bracket with an incredibly hard high-carbon steel extractor tip lodged in the center of it that I have no way of drilling out.

The only thing I can think to do now is ride my TW200 to a local machine shop and let a professional take a crack at it.

If anyone else has a better (read- cheaper!) suggestion I'm open to ideas!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Can you take a dremel or parting wheel and cut a slot across it ? Then you wack it with a impact driver and a screwdriver tip.

Get some penetrating oil in there and tap it for awhile with a hammer. May help wake it up.

jvt
    A 09 with the same rack is on seattle craigs.

sorry but ,I have the same problems sometimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Got my rear Cycleracks rack today and couldn't wait to get it installed.

The right hand allen key bolt (from the top of the passenger footpeg bracket) was a little tight, but it gave in easy enough and backed right out for me.

The left hand allen key bolt though, different story. It turned a cheap allen key into a corkscrew without so much as budging.
    Sorry Don, no help here, at this point. I had the same experience with one of my allen bolts when I installed mine. I quit quickly and used my impact driver and an allen bit and even then it took probably 7 hits to get it to break free. PITA. You have my empathy my brother. You'll love the rack when you get it on.

Quote Originally Posted by JVT View Post
    A 09 with the same rack is on seattle craigs.

sorry but ,I have the same problems sometimes.

Somebody call Homeland Security! Looks like we've got a hijacker on our board!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    Sorry Don, no help here, at this point. I had the same experience with one of my allen bolts when I installed mine. I quit quickly and used my impact driver and an allen bit and even then it took probably 7 hits to get it to break free. PITA. You have my empathy my brother. You'll love the rack when you get it on.

It's good to know I haven't been the only one with this issue.

Thanks to Rich too.

I've been wanting a good excuse to buy a dremel set anyway, and the impact driver is like another 10 bucks so I guess that's justifiable. I've broken more than 10 bucks worth of extractor bits today!

If worse comes to worst I suppose I could spring for a diamond carbide bit and drill out and re-tap the whole thing.

I might just get a whole bunch of new tools out of this situation!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    It's good to know I haven't been the only one with this issue.

Thanks to Rich too.

I've been wanting a good excuse to buy a dremel set anyway, and the impact driver is like another 10 bucks so I guess that's justifiable. I've broken more than 10 bucks worth of extractor bits today!

If worse comes to worst I suppose I could spring for a diamond carbide bit and drill out and re-tap the whole thing.

I might just get a whole bunch of new tools out of this situation!

Regarding impact drivers, I used to have a few Suzuki Samurais and the bodies on those things are put together almost exclusively with phillips head fasteners. I caused myself a lot of frustration and unnecessary work using inexpensive impact drivers. I think I spent $80 on a MAC and it was instantly easy to remove the fasteners. The difference is night and day -- get, beg, or borrow a good one, if you need it. Oh, and the bits break too, even on the expensive ones, but nothing like the cheap ones.

I can't see your problem in my mind's eye, not exactly anyway. I'm guessing you don't have enough fastener left to tack weld a nut onto what is left of it? If you can, and you can get a good bite with the weld, you should be able to put a wrench on the nut and back it out.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Before I read to the extractor part, I had you a plan. Now I'd say welding a nut or having the machine shop use one of those crazy laser things on it is your quickest way.

The Dremel way could work as well. I had a case cover strip all the phillips heads one time, so I figured I'd grind them until they were studs, pull the cover, then put vice grips on what was left. I found that the friction heated them up to the point of loosening by hand before I got any of them totally ground. Maybe get yourself a tiny butane torch. Sometimes a Bic lighter, patience, and some penetrating oil gives you that extra push. If a Dremel slot wouldn't work, and you're comfortable with it, grind two sides of the big allen head off so that a wrench or vice grips could grab the outside flat. Those particular screws are large enough that it may work.

There's a lot of ways to approach it so read around the net and get creative if you have to.

Thank you everybody for the advice!

In the end I think it was a combination of letting penetrating oil soak in for a few days, some loosening effects of impact pressure, and leverage from securely clamped vice grips that got the job done.

See the pics in Cycleracks Success!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Sponosred Links